1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Confederate Offices No 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I've gotten some more progress done on the confederate bust.
    And I've had an idea for something different to try on it.
    I'm not thrilled with how the hat is turning out. So i was thinking about trying to make a flag on a pole to place in his hand instead of the hat. I've never donw anything like this before. Can anybody out there help be out with how I might try doing this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. diosytexas Member

England
    looking great craig. pitty about the hat. sometimes different can be better and if all else fails shove a bottle of JD there. no one would expect to see that.well done dave.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Craig,

Now i hope that i can help you. I read this on the internet about making a flag.
    Here is the link. http://www.lilliputmodel.com/index_ing.htm

Good Luck.

Marc
  4. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Craig.
    He is very impressive.I love the confederate grey you've painted.Could you share the mix? :)
    The flag is a good idea.I did a flag with Andrea Sculpt mixed with a bit of Duro.Making a sheet and glueing it to the pole and letting it fall down naturally over his shoulder,it might work.
    I'm not an sculpt guy.Here at PF there are some good sculpters that can give you some better tricks.
    Anyway it should be a BIG flag,isn't it? :eek: :eek:
    Best regards
    jaume
  5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Craig, nice so far...shame about the hat...the flag idea is good though...what about draping it over the right shoulder without the staff, and coming to a nice tight bunch in his hand, some good tight folds will give you some good fun painting..just an idea...

I would use a little 'cling film', (you know that shrink wrap stuff), and wrap and pull it tight around the figure and sculp the flag onto that without spoiling any of the paintwork you have so carefully done, and you'll get a perfect fit too... then just pop it right off when you've finished...sorry about the brief explanation, hope you know what I mean..

all the best

Roy
  6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    texas...first rule of modeling..don't drink and paint ;)

Marc..that's a great article. Very helpful. Thanks for sharing it. Definitely helpful.

Jaume... I'happy to share the mix with you. If fact, I got it from link that was posted here on planetFigre in response to my request :) .
    It's actually a butternut mix rather than the traditional grey. I though that I would like mine to look a little bit different.
    Here's the link:
    Link
    It's down near the bottom of the page. I used the Raw Umber version only because I made up both versions and I liked that one better on my pallette.

Jaume and Roy.....Thanks for the ideas. I think I like the idea of draping the flag over his shoulder. Might have to give that a try first.

Thanks again to you all for the help. I really appreciate it.
    Craig