1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Confederate Officer bust - No 3

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey all,
    Well, not much progress of late on anything. I had put this Confederate bust
    up on the shelf for a bit because I wasn't having any luck trying to fix the hat. I broke it out again after getting another idea on how to replace it. What I came up with was to have him holding a telescope or spyglass in his left hand instead of the hat. I rooted around in my brass bits jar and came up with enough of the right size pieces to make one up.
    Here it is...
    The leather on the main body of the telescope is made from masking tape, painted with Mars Brown oil paint It's shiny becasue it's still wet. Once it's dry, I'll take a picture of it in his hand.
    I'd like to hear what you think of it so far. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Here's a shot of the bust...

Attached Files:

3. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Great work Craig ! (y)
    Scale?

Regards!

Jacek
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I am impressed with the scope. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was a real one!

Some suggestions but depends on how much you want to weather the 'scope.
    On the metal parts, like plate armor, you could shade a bit low points where the metal parts come together with Ivory Black. And, then feather them out with a dry brush.

I like the leather alot. Well done. I like to weather things so here is a suggestion anyway :lol: ... Add a light wash of raw umber + bit of lamp black. Then maybe highlight with a bit of mars orange?!

OTH, it really looks good now.

I like the idea in general of the telescope as a replacement for the hat.

Keith
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the comments and ideas.
    Jacek, it's something like 1/10th scale.
    Keith, I've been thinking along those same lines. I was considering painting the brass on the main body black and then chipping it to show wear and tear. And once the Mars Brown dries, I'll be doing more work on the leather to give it more life. Although, most of it will be hidden when it's in his hand.
    Thanks again guys,
    Craig
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    cool, Matty like!
  7. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Craig,

The telescope looks really good - I thought it was a realone until I read the text. The bust looks first class too. Can't wait for the next instalment
  8. bosko b Member

Excellent work Craig!

The telescope looks great and will IMHO make the bust more interesting than a hat would.

Regards,

Luka
  9. nagashino New Member

Hi Craig

Nice work! I like the uniform colour - looks just right to this untrained Limey eye :lol: As for the 'scope, I too thought it was a real one (I've got one very similar). Masking tape is some useful stuff isn't it!

I look forward to seeing the guy finished.

Cheers

Phil
  10. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding. Craig I love the idea of the telescope. And the others are right it looks like the real thing. I am really looking forward to seeing this done. You are doing this bust proud and again the telescope idea is great!!! Brock
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Great job on the telescope, it'll make for an interesting alternative to the hat.~Gary
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    I turned this reply into a new thread.
    Craig