1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Color of BEF 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Dec 2, 2014.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I'm fiddeling around with the color of the BEF khaki 1916.
    Into my reference (Tommy's War, and Grande Guerre) i find different colors of khaki for the british. They tend to go from a brownish green to a greenish brown.:eek:
    So i made a picture of the painted helmet (still wet) and try to correct the colorbalance as good as I could. Instead of brown there is a little green undertone in it.(in real)
    So if somebody point me into the good direction it will be very helpfull. IMG_1447.JPG

Marc
    Maciej likes this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'm no expert but I would imagine there was probably as many different colours as there were units, paint would have been sourced locally in a lot of cases and most helmets were probably repainted more than once
    Steve
  3. sayeret Active Member

4. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Helmets would have been painted at the manufacturers,,,,,,,these were outsourced to many different manufacturers so the colour would have varied due to this.

It looks fine to me mark,,,it would have been fairly worn and dirty also.

Glad you are enjoying this one

Stuart
    captnenglish likes this.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Your color looks fine to me! I agree with Stu & Steve. I have about 30 color photos of Brodie helmets without sack or cloth covering. Sack and cloth covers weren't in widespread use until 1917-1918.

There may be two painted Brodies in the 30 that are really similar in color, but the rest are all different shades and variations.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys.
    I gonna keep my oilmix as it is now.
    Stu: It's a lovely figure and i have no regrets that I bought it. I have alot of fun with it.

Marc
    stu likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Marc - the first 1916 Brodie helmets used on the Somme were not khaki. They were painted apple green. I can't post links on my ipad (thankyou very much Apple and are ever going to bloody fix IOS 8?). But if you search the words "brodie helmet apple green" in google you will see what I mean.

If you search the words "brodie and apple" on PF you will see a post by Tony Barton that shows such a helmet.

Colin
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Uniforms were khaki drill (brownish), webbing and puttees were khaki drab (greenish).

Mike