1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Colonel Gourgaud - Officier d'Ordnannce

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 6, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is the start on my next 1/5 Napoleonic bust. As my paints are currently offsite and I still have the bug, I am back to sculpting. I decided on Gourgaud for several reasons: interesting face; great uniform; and I have a letter signed by him in my collection. The cornflower blue uniform with red waistcoat and tons if silver lace will be a fun sculpt and should look good in paint.

image.jpg

Like Fournier, this one is in sculpey firm. He will be wearing a bicorne fore and aft. Still need to add his collar, hair and finish detailing his ears.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

Great start mate , and a truely colourful uniform ...looking forward to seeing what will be an amazing job on that lacework .

Thanks for sharing again...watching

Nap
    crf likes this.
  3. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Great start Colin, very colourful character. ...........lovely ears BTW
    crf likes this.
  4. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great start Colin, waiting for the end !
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Paul. They are too big but I will leave them just for you :)

Colin
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Adding his bicorne. First added fire and aft sculpey projections as support. Cooked. Then added rolled and shaped sculpey for the chapeau side. Relatively thick. Once cooked, I shaped and cut away some of the innards with a dremel. More was cut away after these photos were taken.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    image.jpg
    Hi Colin,
    Before I get shot down, I want to make it absolutely clear that I love your work, the results are invariably astounding and I’d be happy with just half of your ability. But, to my mind, if there is one shortcoming with your sculpting it’s in the treatment of the eyes (yes, I know I’ve mentioned this aspect before and it’s probably pissing you off but an impartial observer can sometimes help to identify problems). Using a bit of jiggery-pokery in Photoshop, I’ve overlain one of your pics on the Hilpert example matching the views as far as possible by aligning the nose and lips, etc. This then shows a big disparity in the size of the eyes and although the Hilpert is a bit romanticised, it does strike me as more anatomically correct. It’s your figure obviously and your decision but I’m just trying to be constructive and hope you can appreciate this. Whatever… this will be another stunning addition to your portfolio.
    Jeff
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Jeff. Absolutely no issue in bringing this up and no offence taken at all. I will be first to admit that I find eyes challenging. I am getting better at matching them, and that is MY biggest issue with them.

From a size perspective I don't think I am that far off reality but I am for sure much smaller than the artistic norm. As I have noted before it is normal and accepted in art to exaggerate the size of eyes to attract the viewer to the window of the soul.

image.jpg image.jpg

As for Hilpert's print, I submit it is awful. Imagine meeting someone with eyes that big on the street. You would think them very odd.

Gourgaud meets the 5 eye widths standard from the front I think. Gourgaud's eyes are actually larger than Fournier's.

I also find that paint cures a multitude of sins. In the end it comes down to taste and style.

I hope you don't think I am just blowing off your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. BTW - I Envy your photoshop skills!

Colin
  9. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    picture attached is a portrait of Baron Gorgaud. is a photo that i took at the army museum in Paris and is the orginal of mr. Hilpert Bucquoy's card

I think can be a better reference

only a question ... why the hat? the portrait is so beautiful and rich that the bicorne seems superfluous

Attached Files:

Tonton and crf like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin,

I think Ivo raises a valid point perhaps have the bicorne under his arm rather than on his head , the hair which IMO is a big part of this sculpt ........even more so when painted.

Nap
    crf likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Off to another fine start!
    As to the question of eyes... To my eye, protraits from that era tend to portray the eyes a touch on the large size... Unless of course, all men of that time had "Betty Davis eyes". If I look in the mirror and compare to your sculpt, then your sculpted eyes are pretty damn big :wideyed: Seriously, I'd say they are fine top to bottom, maybe if you drag them a hair wider, side to side, it wouldn't hurt... just a hair mind you.

You need to get home and pick up your paints though :sneaky:

Colin
    crf and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ivo. Much appreciated as that is a new picture I had not seen before. It shows hte intricacies of hte lace and the cornflower blue uniform, often depriected too light and bright. I will be painting him in this more subdued colour. Great portrait!

The hat because I was in the mood to add one after I did Fournier holding his and I wanted to show Gourgaud in the field. I wanted the challenge of sculpting a bicorne in sculpey. But I placed it too high and had to dremel it off and reattach it (reversed). Here is what he currently looks like.

I did slightly change the shape of his eyes and I admit I emlarged them a little with a blade.

Thanks all.

Colin

P1010058.JPG P1010056.JPG P1010052.JPG P1010046.JPG
  13. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    you have to pay attention to the hat because it seems to small. Napoleonic hat was very tall, your looks like more english...

you can have a better view in the attached painting les adieux de Fontainebleu 1814

Attached Files:

14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ivo. Not sure I can correct that now but I will see if I can add a bit. Also it will look taller once the lace and feather trim is added. In real life I think it looks a bit better. I know what you mean about the low silhouette of the English cocked hat. Appreciate your comment.

Colin
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin. Stupid of me listening to SWMBO and leaving my paint in Stratford. "You can sculpt in
    Oakville and paint in Stratford and that way have less to carry" she says. I think it was a conspiracy to get more back rub time out of me. :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. swralph A Fixture

Looking really good
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Head complete and undercoated. Collar decoration added.

P1010075.JPG P1010074.JPG P1010078.JPG
    P1010079.JPG P1010081.JPG P1010082.JPG
    ChaosCossack, Huw63 and billyturnip like this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This one is for Jeff. I opened his eyes up a wee bit more. Looks a bit better. That is about as far as I can go without a resculpt. Thanks for your comment.

Colin

Image2.jpg
    ChaosCossack, Elia and Tonton like this.
  20. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Don’t dedicate it to me, Col’… my suggestion was made in the hope that it would benefit your sculpt – something I thought was already bloody good (“… a fresh pair of eyes”, etc.) I’m flattered that you’ve taken it on board and increased the size of the eyes and think it’s a marked improvement, too. Am looking forward to the remainder of the sculpt and the warpaint! He’s going to look formidable!
    Best wishes,
    Jeff
    crf likes this.