1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Coldstream Guard Pioneer - Hougomount 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Apr 29, 2017.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    As i'm now in the last stages of the CGS Polish Lancer I normally like to overlap my projects so i'm continuously working on different pieces,for this next project i'm continuing with my true military love ' Waterloo ',this next offering will be a piece I picked up from Stuart Hale at last years Euro Militaire,its the Coldstream Guard Pioneer corporal bust dated 1815 at waterloo.
    The bust itself is from Stuarts pedestal range and is sculpted by Stu himself.
    As most people will be aware the Coldstream Guard units were positioned by wellington in and around the chateau of Hougomount and used to defend the chateau with other guard units.
    Stuart has captured the menacing pose of the pioneer perfectly for me,large and powerful looking as the pioneers and engineers were in both wellingtons and napoleons army,an awesome and frightening site if you happened to be on the wrong side.
    The pioneers were responsible for creating and securing the defences in and around Hougomount prior to the battle and also more importantly during the fighting as well,Hougomount received a lot of damage during the 18th june and the fighting in and around it became a battle in itself,if the allied forces had lost it then napoleon may well have been able to roll up wellingtons right flank completely leading to certain disaster.
    The bust is completely cast in resin and comes in 7x parts including the pedestal,all the parts fit excellently with very minimal filling required as you'll see from the photos,the enginner is depicted wearing the foul weather shako cover which I think is a great touch from Stu as I believe most of the guards wore them during the terrible weather prior to the morning of the 18th.

Stormtroopers
    Pedastal Pieces - PPST30
    Pioneer Corporal - Coldstream Guard - Waterloo 1815
    Sculpted by Stuart Hale
    www.stormtrooperminiatures.co.uk

DSCN4861.JPG DSCN4862.JPG DSCN4863.JPG DSCN4864.JPG DSCN4865.JPG DSCN4867.JPG DSCN4868.JPG DSCN4869.JPG DSCN4870.JPG DSCN4871.JPG DSCN4872.JPG

Brian
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to this one Brian, I had seen this too and like the look of him.
    Following
    anstontyke and smudger1960 like this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

As he is a Coldstreamer this will be followed closely.
    As for the backdrop I wait with baited breath.
    Looking forward to what you do with this one Brian.
    Mick
  4. Barrie Harris Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Like him interesting looking bust .Look forward to seeing him painted .
    Barrie (Newbee ).
  5. KuK_Grenadier PlanetFigure Supporter

Austria
    I have this bust too, so i will follow with interest.

Christian
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a nice one.

Marc
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Following with interest

Like this bust and it certainly looks a great sculpt

Will it be within a bustorama setting ?

Nap
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks bob
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks mick,yes I will do something extra as a backdrop
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Barrie
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks christian
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks marc
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks kev,yes I will do something as a backdrop
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nothing against the Coldstream Pioneer, which is a lovely bit of work, but it'd be good to see his counterpart on the French side — Sous Lieutenant Legros (l'enfonceur) — who nearly turned the tide on the defence of Hougoumont. One for the future?

Jeff
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Jeff,yes definately one for the future
    napoleonpeart, anstontyke and Tonton like this.
  16. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Oh goodie, I have been wanting to see this lad painted

John
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks john
    anstontyke and baronband like this.
  18. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A great figure. Looking forward to seeing what the backdrop will be.
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks mate (y)
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Continuing on I have added just a simple backdrop for this piece,i feel being a pioneer it needed just something simple related to a building,as the coldstream guard units fought in and around the chateau of hougomount at waterloo I thought the addition of a portion of brick wall would tie the piece in perfectly for me.
    For this I just used sections of balsa and embossed brick / stone sheet from my local model shop and finished the back and sides plus the top with 0.30 black plastic card,i also added some larger stones on the corner with 0.60 thou white plastic card which was evident in all these early 19th century buildings.
    it looks plain at present,but the paintwork I have in mind will tie it into the finished figure on completion.

DSCN4873.JPG DSCN4874.JPG DSCN4875.JPG DSCN4876.JPG DSCN4877.JPG DSCN4878.JPG DSCN4879.JPG

Brian / Smudger
    anstontyke, arj, Gellso and 5 others like this.