1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Closing the gates, Hougomont.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Brian, don't think you'll be disappointed. I've loosely mocked it up on the bench pretty much as Gordon has in his photos, to try and estimate a base size. The only sticking point is the number/placement of the forthcoming French contingent and how it will affect my calculations. Whatever, I think it's going to require a hefty piece of timber!
    clrsgt and anstontyke like this.
  2. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Borek. Apologies for the quality of the photos, I'll try and do better with any future updates.
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. Cannonball A Fixture

Managed to do a bit more on this recently. Just waiting for a base to arrive so I can start mounting them and get an idea of the overall dynamic with the gates and wall added. I've started to convert one of the figures from set 3 to Sgt Graham. I've added a sash and chevrons but that's it so far ( conversions/scratch building are not my strong point). image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  4. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    If you visit the Hougoumont Museum site they have reconstructed the walls and gates exactly as they were. Stone work foundations under brick. The gates were not painted going by a Fragment in the Coldstream guards museum where the lock and chain still resides. There was a cobblestone track or path between the gates . Yup I'm researching this one myself and waiting for the French. Another little detail is drainage. If you wander around some old Northern European towns you will notice a central drainage channel but I haven't gotten me out of the farm had one yet but i have seen it on a painting.

Looking good by the way. IMG_9815.JPG IMG_9808.JPG IMG_9823.JPG
    Huw63, Grod, OldTaff and 4 others like this.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks for the info Red Five. I'd seen some of the pictures from the 200 year commemorations but wasn't sure if the gates were a more modern interpretation.
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I think it's but these guys look like they're dancing around your desk trying to avoid the brush, nice work by the way (y)
    Regards,
    Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Palphillips Member

United-Kingdom
    How many British figures in total are there Cannonball?

Thanks, Paul
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Paul,
    There are 7 British figures in total, 2 on either gate and 3 in the gap between the gates. There is going to be a fourth set for this group which I believe will be a French contingent but don't know how many will be in that set.
    anstontyke and Palphillips like this.
  10. Palphillips Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the information
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi cannonball....they are all looking great my friend...wish I was as far on with mine....I've been a bit side tracked with the painting...I've been collecting bits and pieces for the gate pillars, damaged wall , and gates....keep up the good work....regards Mike
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent job so far. I am also waiting for the French contingent so I can gauge the size of the scene. It wil be massive. Thanks also to Red 5 for the photos; great reference for the future.
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

A little further along with this project although progress is slowing a bit. I've built some gate posts out of polystyrene, polyfilla and balsa and started to add a few extra details to the gates but still a way to go yet. I've just had a brief go at mocking up- got a base from Richard at Oakwood and just trying to see what the best set up will be. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    anstontyke and Grod like this.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think this looks better when bottem down.
    image.1.jpeg image.3.jpeg image.jpeg
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats better Marc, blood was rushing to my head. Excellent layout and looking forward to more. The gates are superb.
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks for amending the photo's Marc.
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Bob.
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  18. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Terrific progress, this looks so dynamic......the wall and gates look absolutely right from when we were there last year. According to one of the museum chaps, it's as accurate as their information and research could make it. (y)

Alan
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. Cannonball A Fixture

A little further on with the mock up. I've moved the centre figure from set 2 just to the left as my miscalculations on base size meant he wouldn't fit in the suggested position between the two guardsmen in between the open gate. Gates are in the process of being under coated in enamel then will get various oil washes. Need to work out how to reproduce cobblestones at this scale- I've used lentils under player in the past but that was for 54mm. Any suggestions welcome! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Alan. On my list of things to do re visiting Waterloo but not got round to it as yet. Did you stay at the farm?
    anstontyke likes this.