1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Chasseurs A Cheval

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Here's one of my new projects, a 54mm Chasseur a Cheval from Andrea miniatures. What you're looking at is about a weekends worth of work. The head is pretty well finished (minus that thing on the top of his hat), though I may still do a little tweaking with the shading on the face.

I've started working on his coat. I'm putting in a hint of blue into the shadows, though the effect is still very subtle. Once I add the detail work (lots more of the yellow/gold lace, some red piping around the front of the coat, more buttons, and the white strap across his chest), I'll see if I want to take the shadows, especially between his arms and chest, down darker. If I do I'll probably use a wash with a stronger dark blue mixed with some of the green. But I want to see more of the overall look before I commit to that.

Chasseur01.jpg
    Chasseur02.jpg

The first picture was done with my cell phone, so the colors are a little off. The second was done with a real camera so they are closer to the actual figure. That strange gap or slot in his right arm is where his rifle will eventually rest.

I'm experimenting more with Reaper Master Series paints, so I'm using those for most of this figure. The main exceptions being the red (Andrea red set) and some GW metallics, washes, and shades. I've liked how Reaper works on the skin tones and have used them there for a while, so I thought I'd try out some of their other colors and see how I liked them. So far I'm pleased.

I've still got plenty to do on this guy, but the work is going well. Thanks for taking a look and let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas that might help!

David

Attached Files:

2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Looks very good so far...

Cheers
  3. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've been keeping busy since my last post. Most of the fine detail is finished, though I have a little of the lace still to do, haven't touch the black parts, and his plume is still not done. I'd also like to add a few washes to the metal. And of course he still needs hands!

Now that I've gotta a better idea of how he's going to look, I'm thinking I'll take the green highlights on his jacket up one or two levels, on the front of his chest and the top of his shoulders. I like the range of green on his lower body... I just think the coat needs a little more for it to pop against all that other detail. Any thoughts?

Thanks for taking a look.

Chasseur14a.jpg

Chasseur15a.jpg

Attached Files:

4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Looks very nice indeed
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Some work to do on the belts and as you say some additional highlighting to the green but overall he is looking great.

Keith
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks very good to me. Agree with Keith.
    But what you in one weekend, I do in two weeks. But that's the benefit of working with Acrylic.

marc
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I think your painting looks great!
    My only thought is, having just researched and completed a chasseur a cheval, I think the tone of your green may be a little light. In every example I found in researching... the "chasseur" green is a VERY dark green.
    Just a thought
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    It seems Harvey Keitel in Ridley Scott "Duellists";)
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

pmfs, I see what you mean. He does sort of look like Harvey's character.

ChaosCossack... yeah, the green did end up too light. Napoleonics aren't my area of expertise, so my historical accuracy is going to be a little less rigorous. This was actually a 'just for fun' figure I wanted to paint as practice before I work on a few other Napoleonics in my grey army. I'll be sure to do more research before I tackle those!
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    ChaosCossack... yeah, the green did end up too light. Napoleonics aren't my area of expertise, so my historical accuracy is going to be a little less rigorous. This was actually a 'just for fun' figure I wanted to paint as practice before I work on a few other Napoleonics in my grey army. I'll be sure to do more research before I tackle those![/quote]

For what it's worth, whether the colour's dead on or not, the paintwork itself is excellent. That particular shade of green and that uniform would make a fine Chasseur of the Army of the Kingdom of Naples ;)
  11. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Just a minor update here. Did some more work on the details and added the hands and weapon. I also tweaked the highlights on the coat a little. Not too much more to do. Should have him done in plenty of time to bring along to the Long Island show next month.

Chasseur14.jpg Chasseur15.jpg Chasseur16.jpg

ChaosCossack likes this.