1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

chasseur trumpeter 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ivopreda, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    after some busy day I continue my painting progress of the trumpeter . Previous step was showed in the original post.

the horse head is close to be finished, the eyes are very important to give expression to the horse

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

the saddlecloth has received the base of the “ring” it was done using an oil mix made with gold powder, burnt umber and cadmium orange.

[IMG]

I like to see the figure in progress, for this reason periodically I assemble the figure and try to verify the chromatic balance and quality. Its help me to avoid anachronistic colour and bad general look. The trumpet banner was painted in acrylics and the decoration in oil. Basically it’s the same as the rings on the saddlecloth

[IMG]

see you next session…
    Ivo
  2. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Fantastic work Ivo.

Can you please share how you did the horse eyes?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Paulo
  3. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    great so far!!!keep up cant wait to see it finished
    dimitris
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Coming along nicely! Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ivo,
    It is beautiful looking so far. Thanks for all the information.
    Cheers
    John
  6. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Ciao Ivo
    direi che stai eseguendo un ottimo lavoro
    buon continuo ... ;)
    Saluti Mab :)
  7. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Looks fantastic Ivo!
    enjoy the rest of it.

Best wishes,

Marijn
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work Ivo,horse's eyes are excellent!!
    best regards
    christos
  9. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Ciao Ivo,
    Bella pittura come al solito e riferimenti uniformologici corretti, nemmeno ipotizzabile il contrario. Se non m'imganno, è la stessa testa del Marbot, e come quello vedrei il colbacco più largo, più "cicciotto". Questo attuale è un pò troppo a tubo, ma tu lo sai benissimo come erano...
    Ciao, buon proseguimento
    Marcello
  10. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    some question some answer

Rafael Gonzalez - I must paint a horse in few days (I am painting the 54mm Pegaso Count of Naunty figure) and I think the horse can be a chestnut horse. My problem is that I never paint in oils before and I am not sure how to do that. Could you tell me any reference book or article in order to learn how to paint horses with oils?

friends I like to use the oils because they are more fat in comparison with acrylics, you can blend them and also make lines.
    Basically I select a picture or a canvas painting as idea and I try to repeat the colour on the horse.
    I made a basic mix just a little darker than necessary and I highlight it with a lighter colour. With oils you can use pure colour or diluted colour I use both! Some time is useful to use pure colour blending it onthe base and sometimes is useful to make a thin wash over a particular part. I don’t have a fixed sequence, I follow the instinct.
    I normally try to teach “use your eyes” that means modify the painting ( wet on wet, dry, washing I think are well known words ) until an adequate result.
    Best result are rarely obtainable immediately, correction and improvement are normal and frequently is necessary to repaint the part.
    Repaint the part doesn’t mean cancel and repaint, mean use the original base and paint lightly . You will see that original light and shadow remain visible under the new coat (thin coat obviously)

Paulo - Can you please share how you did the horse eyes?

Normally white horse has a dark area around the eyes, this area is normally very dark and is obtained with ivory black painted wet on white wet for the external area. More deep black is obtained using ivory black on dry colour.
    The eyes himself needs attention for the eyelids painted with a bit or rose ( greyish with just a little black).
    The base of the eye is painted in pink white with a red spot in the front corner, Black pupil is painted in ivory black with a small white dot that simulate the reflex of the light.
    Over the dry colour I normally put a thin layer of gloss paint, the eyes are constantly humid…

Marcello -
    Colpack is completely re-sculpted, totally new.
    I choose to sculpt it just a little smaller than the de Marbot Colpack because also if I’m working on the most important guard regiment probably an ADC is richest an most “a la mode” than a regimental trumpet. Another reason is that De Marbot is 1808/1809 ( the richest period) and the trumpet at the beginning of the empire. Consular period had smaller colpacks.

See you for the next step

Ivo
  11. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Ciao Ivo,
    I write in english as you answered to me, so it's easy to understand for everyone.
    I said something about the colpack only for an aesthetic impression seeing it, not for other. However, the colpack generally used along the napoleonic period, entered in service in 1803, so one year before the Empire, and remained the same later. It was 250mm high in the front part, 277mm high in the rear part, and 250mm of diameter on the top. So it had a squared form. The officers' type was generally a bit larger, as you said. The form more tiny was used by the "Guard des Consuls", but who can say in 1804 or 1805 what type was used by a trumpeter? May be he still carried an old pattern type ;)
    Ciao, un abbraccio
    Marcello
  12. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
  13. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Cioa Ivo,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Many thanks for your tips on the eyes.

I admire your work (one of my references).

Cheers,
    Paulo
  14. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    you're still doing all right