1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Chasseur d'Afrique 1854 bust from Model Cellar Productions

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to everyone ,

Our man Valiant (Steve Leadley) has been a busy lad with another sculpt being released by Model Cellar in their 120mm range of busts ...this time he has gone over to depict the French Allies in the Crimea .....a most colurful one as well.....the name of the unit:

The Chasseur d'Afrique
    french C 001.jpg

Let us look at this most distinctive of French Units:

The Chasseurs d'Afrique (Hunters of Africa) were a light cavalry raised in 1830s from regular French cavalry. They were recruited from either French volunteers or from French settlers in North Africa. By 1939, there were 12 regiments of Chasseurs. They wore blue uniforms, earning themselves the nickname "Blue Butchers"

In addition to the Crimea, the Chasseurs served in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71), Indo-China, numerous campaigns in North Africa, France's invasion of Mexico and both World Wars.
    The Chasseurs were disbanded in 1962 with the coming of Algerian independence from France. This terminated over a century of service.

Looking at the Crimea .........Marshal St Arnaud when he organised the army of the Orient which he would command was to attach to it, a brigade of Chasseurs d'Afrique. The 1st Regiment (Colonel de Ferrabouc) and the 4th Regiment (Colonel de Coste de Champeron) were assigned to form it. General d'Allonville took command, attaching to it a mounted battery and a platoon of Spahis whose oriental uniform could not fail to produce an excellent effect on the imagination of the followers of Mohammed.
    Only this platoon and some Chasseurs d'Afrique were able to follow the general In Chief to the Crimea. From the following extract from his report on the Battle of Alma, it may be seen how much this absence of cavalry proved harmful to the French. "If I had had the cavalry," said the marshal, "I would have secured major results and Menschicoff would no longer have an army... For the rest of my life I will regret having had only my two regiments of Chasseurs d'Afrique." His successor's first concern was to call them up in all haste. They arrived early enough to take part in the Battle of Balaclava (October 25, 1854). Well directed by General's Morris and d'Allonville, two squadrons of the 4th Regiment saved the remnants, who were compromised in an inappropriate charge, of the English cavalry. Commander Abdelal, Captain's Ollier, Burtin, and Dangla - the last one was killed - were named to the order of the Army. The losses of the 4th Regiment on this day were 13 dead of whom two were officers; 7 wounded or whom 2 were amputated; 16 horses killed and 12 wounded. This was the only opportunity which the Chasseurs found in the Crimea to make the Russians feel the points of their sabres. The siege of Sebastopol could not highlight their better qualities. They were only used thereafter for reconnaissance and by squadron ."
    View attachment 156094
    Wearing the distinctive uniform full of colour and lacework the subject is bound to be inspirational both as a display piece and as a painting project.

0.jpg 00000.jpg 0000.jpg 000.jpg

Now for some original uniforms ...just look at that lacework .
    french C 001.jpg 00000.jpg 0000.jpg 000.jpg 0.jpg 01.jpg 1.jpg 1a.jpg 2.jpg 2a.jpg 3.jpg 3a.jpg 4.jpg 4a.jpg 8.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 11a.jpg 11.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks ,

Well after that bombardment of glorious uniform colour lets have a look at the model itself:

Title: French Chasseur d'Afrique Crimea 1854

Reference: MC120 B06

Scale: 120mm

Material: Resin

No of pieces: 3

Sculptor: Steve Leadley (Valiant on PF)

Casting: Paul at Model Cellar

Box Art: Dan Capuano

As with the previous releases Model Cellar have taken pride in protecting the contents , being wrapped in bubble wrap MC Packing.jpg after being put into a sealed clear bag , this is then further protected with foam chippings MC box.jpg , all of which are held securely in a cardboard box with full colour boz art by Dan on the top and side. french C 001.jpg

The contents consist of 3 pieces in a cream coloured resin , these beng the cap , the torso(with head) and the standard base .
    french C 004.jpg

Presentation is good with no visible or noticeable casting lines are blocks to remove or deal with , there was a little bit of flashing at the collar edge as seen in the picture ...easy to remove , overall casting is crisp and sharp bringing out the finer details that Steve has sculpted .

If you choose to use the base a quick run round the edges is recommended just to finish it off . french C 005.jpg

Looking at the main piece now the torso , our subject is an officer with a uniform covered in lacework and frogging .
    french C 006.jpg french C 009.jpg french C 007.jpg french C 008.jpg

As was often seen in the Crimea he is beareded .a nice bushy one french C 011.jpg french C 013.jpg ..keeping him warm no doubt in the harsh Crimean weather, he looks to his left , the hair and beard and moustache are all nicely worked ...good opportunity to use washes to bring out the work by Steve., the eyes are piercing with good definition of the eyelids , fine cheekbones with the nose and ears also being well sculpted ..perhaps a little redness on the nose for our Frenchie ...as a result of either the cold or too much wine!!!

Steve has produced the folds in the sleeves well , with the rank piping showing as in the original uniforms ......what will really prove a challenge is the painting of all that piping and lacework ..but boy what a result you will have ....I take my hat off to Steve for even attempting to sculpt all of this , he has achieved a really nice delicate finish ...variations obviously happened as often seen both between Reiments and indeed brother officers in the same unit . french C 010.jpg french C 012.jpg

As you can see some mighty fine sculpting from Steve ..backed up by really good casting quality from Paul at MC......nice one guys.(y)

Our subject would not be complete with out the cap ..again packed with piping and some really nice details being sculpted ..again no prep was needed and when fitted on the head looks the part ...another gold star to Steve for the sculpting ...the cap shows some nice work also on the peak and strap.

If I was to add anything it would be a Regimental number on the front ..my choice folks.!!!

french C 014.jpg
    french C 015.jpg french C 016.jpg

Final thoughts on this release ...a very welcome addition to the range at Model Cellar , well sculpted and cast , lots of fine details to deal with , facial features are full of character and well done , fit is good .

This will make a really colourful addition to your display cabinet and a wonderful sight indeeed if you also paint up the others in the 120 series from Steve and Paul

For more information why not visit the website ..easy to navigate ..even I managed it!!!! Lots to tempt you in all of Model Cellars ranges ..thanks fully I just do busts!!

www.ModelCellar.com

Lets now enjoy the box art ..nice work Dan and thanks for doing it for Paul

13.jpg 12.jpg

Thanks to you all for looking in ...enjoy the modelling ..whatever you do

Nap
  3. swralph A Fixture

A great review of a fantastic looking bust.These review's make me want to buy,so much so that I bought the 38th foot and 5th dragoon guard(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks for a great review and usual invaluable information Kevin.
    Steve has crammed in some marvelous detail with the miles of superb lace work.
    Looking at the box photo I thought it may be a bit ordinary but how wrong can you be.
    This is a great sculpt and well done to all involved in the production of this piece.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin cracking review ,wonderful visual reference pictures
    Cheers Chris
  6. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Superb review Kev(y)
    Cheers
    Jim