1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

CGS Black Watch 200mm Waterloo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Funky50, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Funky50 Guest

Just thought I would post my latest WIP Started mostly in oils and Humbrol enamels sorry for the poor pictures but any tips or advice would be appreciated .....Kevin image.jpg

Attached Files:

Viking Bob, crf, Scotty and 8 others like this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking very good to date! .. The base structure of the 'Tartan', is very well done, as is the tunic and strapping/lace. I 'Doff' my cap. You are a brave man attempting the Tartan. I will follow this excellent start.

Regards,

Mark
    Gra30 and Funky50 like this.
  3. Funky50 Guest

Thanks Mark wIll try and post some better photos as this progresses....the Tartan was made a bit simpler to lay out because of the way this figure is cast it certainly helps the painter as I mostly masked and airbrushed the tartan which hopefully gives it a more uniform look....Kevin
    Gra30 and BarrieHynd like this.
  4. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Following this for sure Kevin. Good start you've made mate. Miles ahead of me. I have thought about trying to airbrush the tartan myself. Like you say the way the figure has been cast certainly allows it. It will be a impressive piece when done. Keep at it mate.

Barrie.
  5. Funky50 Guest

Cheers Barrie .....I'm afraid my photography isn't up to much But will try and post some better pics as this piece progresses it really is a lovely colourful piece only hope I can do it justice And thanks for the encouragement much appreciated...Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start Kevin...stick with it....I am sure it will be worth the effort mate (y)

Cheers

Ron
  7. Funky50 Guest

Thanks Ron.....Its a lovely figure and the parts are broken down in a way to help the painter ,after a period of doing Busts you forget how much work there is in something as big as this LOL .....i'm really enjoying this figure so far but it's taken me since Euro to get this far So plenty to do......Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your a braver man than I mate.....have a real phobia about tartans :arghh::nailbiting: :LOL:
    It is a stunning piece though :wideyed:

Ron
  9. Funky50 Guest

Me to but the real nightmare for me is trying to get the hose to look realistic I always get round the back and find nothing lines up lol...Thanks Again for the encouragement much appreciated...Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good !! (y)

Kagemusha has a real phobia of tartan :eek: I live in the land of tartan and red hair " now thats a phobia " :D

Ron T
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    But your half Italian.....so at least you can claim immunity from red hair ;)
    Gra30 likes this.
  12. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
  14. Funky50 Guest

Cheers Barrie and Keith....the part I find most difficult is the seam at the back and getting the diamonds to look as if they merge into one another perhaps I should start fro the back and work round to the front also the referance I have shows the socks diamonds to be bordered with a black line (Waterloo Men) and that doesn't look right to me should it be more of a dark red.....thanks Again...Kevin
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kevin,
    With help from Scotty posting his hoes tops, you will on page three of the SBS a photo of the rear view of the beasts. This shows a seam where the diamonds are not complete and and just meet up where ever they come together. That is to say that they are knitted as a flat piece and sewn into a tube. there are no 'feet' in these.
    With this in mind I always start at the top front center diamond that is always red. Remember that the diamonds are all the same size no matter they are white pink or red and that they are a little wider than they are tall.
    I hope that this lightens your burden a little and give me a shout if I can help in any way.
    Cheers,
    Keith

Attached Files:

16. Funky50 Guest

Many Thanks Keith that's a great help will save that for reference it's great to know where to start.......Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  17. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Excellent work Kevin, and great to see paint on him. I really appreciate the hard work both you and Barrie are putting into your pieces, it shows you are both enjoying him, which was the aim.
    All the best and look forward to more
    Gra
    Funky50 likes this.
  18. Funky50 Guest

Cheers Gra...Really appreciate that And hope I can do it justice ....just trying to get my head round the hose but it's definately starting to come together......will post better pics when it's moved on a bit...also a big thanks for the tips and advice from everyone ....what a friendly hobby this is....Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start Kevin,look forward to seeing him progress
  20. Funky50 Guest

Cheers Smudger.... 1960 a vintage year.....Kevin
    Gra30 and smudger1960 like this.