1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Celtic Warrior & Questions

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tiberius57, Feb 17, 2012.

1. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I worked this beautifully sculpted Pegaso (54mm) using oils for skin, fur cape, fabrics, shield and other details. I used enamels for helmet and breastplate. The tartan was painted in enamels and I could have done a better job. The helmet and breastplate was done in multiple layers of copper, gold and steel paints over a black base coat. Please have a look and tell me were is the improvement area as well as were I did good. Are you so kind to suggest other painting techniques for helmets and armour?
    Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    [IMG][IMG]
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Sorry but I couldn't see the pictures-Keith
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    you have the same problem as me Keith , can't post pictures:D
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Due to whatever reason the pictures vanished.
    Here are the photos.

[IMG][IMG]
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hello Zeno, thanks for reposting the pictures. When I first looked at this I was a bit taken aback by the use of colour, when I looked more closely there are some nice touches, the overall use of the colours, highlighting and shading is good and nice work on the fur so the basics are all there. My criticism would be from my first reaction that you have used too many bright contrasting colours. Red, Green and Blue for me just don't go together. However, this is purely a personal view and who is to say that he couldn't have looked like that:D Overall keep up the good work(y) In 20 years I have never plucked up the courage to paint a Tartan so full marks for having a go.

Keith
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith, for you kind words.
    Can you indicate some reference material related to painting miniatures in oils as a method? I'm not very confident in applying them and I am experimenting to much on the painting area. Each area is unique.
    Thanks for "breacking the ice".
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Zeno, get hold of a copy of Danilo Cartacci's book "Painting Miniatures" while there are still some available-the publisher "Auriga International" still have some shown on their website. Everything else should be available on this site, colour mixing, painting metallics, assembly, basework-just ask, have a search through the Planet archives or post a WIP and get the advice as you go. Thanks for replying to my PM by the way!

Keith
    gordy likes this.
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Keith, Thanks a lot!!!