1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Celtic Chieftain Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Mar 12, 2014.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hello again,
    I pulled this one from the shelf of doom this week, it had been sitting there for nearly two years. Its Mig's Celtic Chieftain, with a few changes, I removed the metal Horns and Roman??? plume from his helmet, re-sculpted the top and added the horse hair plume. All done in oils at this point, except the metals, which are done in Vajello's with oils washes. IMG_6464.JPG IMG_6466.JPG IMG_6467.JPG I am going to give the cape a rough wool look by stippling some highlights and shadows.
    The hair is only just started and everything else just needs a touch up here and there. If all goes well, it wont go back to the shelf of doom but into my display cabinet!!!!!
    Ta
    Ben
    Corporal, Uruk-Hai, crf and 3 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    nice work.

Marc
    FigureLover likes this.
  3. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great, Ben. I love the effect you've gotten with the metals - definitely keep him off your shelf of doom, mate.
    Cheers
    FigureLover likes this.
  4. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yeah, nice this. I've just started using printers inks for metals, but you show very clearly that Vallejos are more that adequate for metals and stable for the use of the oil washes.
    Very effective .
    Karl
    FigureLover likes this.
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark, Nick and Karl
    Yeah, metals are always a challenge to get right, still needs a bit more work yet but almost there. Thanks for looking
    Ben
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Good finnish on the metals. And I like your changes for this bust. I wish I had thought of them myself. I primed it just the other week.
    Perhaps I remove the "horns" but can I then keep the plyme?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    FigureLover likes this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

Lovely paintwork so far(y)
    FigureLover likes this.
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Ralph
    Janne, the removal of the horns was easy, I had to alter the helmet to suit the new plume, whether this or your possible version is historically correct or not is beyond my expertise. Thanks for your comments on the metals though
    Ben