1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Catgirl

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, May 31, 2016.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    So here's something that's a little different from what I normally work on. The figure is a 54mm from Wonderlands Project titled 'Hailey Smith: Cat Suit.' I pre-ordered it a while back and, after some delays in production, it finally arrived a few days ago. The kit was limited to 200 copies, though I'm sure they are still available if anyone is interested. It's a little unusual, but the female sculpt (especially the face) is very well done.

I've begun with the skin and there's plenty of that to paint. So far I've focused on the head and upper body. The legs and rear end are at an earlier stage. I begin with the basic skin tone to lay down the highlights and shadows. Once I've had a chance to do the parts touching her skin (like the hair and clothing), I will return to the skin with some glazes to add more color variation and depth to the painting.

CG01.jpg CG02.jpg CG03.jpg CG04.jpg

This figure is a nice chance to work on painting female skin. The approach is similar to male skin (of course), but I try to use softer shadows on the secondary features. So many of the lines on the face that I'd bring out on a male figure are de-emphasized to get a more feminine and youthful look.

I'm tempted to try my hand at painting sheer effects on her stockings. I've never done it before but this could be a great figure to learn on. I'll probably try it on a small test area before committing... so we'll see how it goes!
    Dan Morton, Bootneck, arj and 7 others like this.
  2. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Bailey, unusual figure &I like it!
    Look forward to some updates
    Mark D
  3. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start, and interesting change from your norm.
    Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Cheers,
    Andrew