1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Card Players

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jan 9, 2012.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Primed and ready to go.
    54mm Fredericus Rex flats based on a painting by Meissonnier

They have had a fair amount of surgery to the foot pieces and have been arranged and glued in position to give a more intimate appearance when placed in the scene I have in mind. I might come to regret it when I'm painting but hopefully this way will help the placement of light and shade.

Roger

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      201.4 KB
      Views:
    Mark S, ChaosCossack and Mike S. like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Is this the one that Brian painted, with additions?
    Carl.(y)
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Yes Carl, besides the seated figures which is one casting the set also includes four standing figures and the small table.

Roger.
  4. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger
    Looking forward to this. re. your PM I have ordered mine today

Cheers

John
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers John, looking forward to seeing yours. You shouldn't have long to wait, Conny & Petra are very good at getting stuff sent out.

Roger.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Roger, should keep you busy for a while.
    Carl.(y)
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Definately Carl, plus all the other stuff that's already started. ;)
  8. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow, Roger: You have really taken on a enthusiastic project. I will watch your
    progress with much interest. Also, I do appreciate your explanation of where
    the name Billy Turnip came from. Something told me it was a part of
    British History. . . and a horse named Black Bess.

"Stand and Deliver". . . I recall that phrase from reading about British
    History, and wondered if that was what a highwayman would actually have
    said.

It certainly sounds impressive. And Roger, I do not mean this in a joking
    manner.

The Miami Jayhawk
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Rick, these figures have resided in a box for far too long, seeing painted versions on a couple of forums has spurred me into action.... just like highwayman of days gone by, real or imagined. :D

Roger.
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Roger what a great looking set of figures and look forward to following this one.

Cheers Ken
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Roger
    Great composition, I've seen a couple of these painted up and although they looked good they didn't come together as a single piece.
    Really looking forward to seeing this painted.
    Cheers
    Derek
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Ken, once I've cleared some of the backlog there's some Falklands conflict figs I've got my eyes on. :D
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Derek, I've also got something a bit different planned for a background that should help create an atmosphere.
  14. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger

I love this set of flats, based on one of my most favourite paintings of all time.
    “Innocents and Card Sharpers, a game of piquet”,

I know you are allowed a certain amount of artistic licence, does he not stand behind the left hand seated figure,
    I know you are aware of that, It was interesting that the figure in the original painting that is in the background has not been included.

I know you will do it justice, take your time mate it will be a great piece. Just one other question, are you doing it as a box dio,
    I always thought it would be good as this even if it was a scratch built set in full rounds.

Good luck with this, it will be a piece to be proud of.

Dave
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Well spotted Dave, after several dry runs I settled on the composition you can see here simpy because it looked better... to me anyway. :D

I am going to draw a background with pastels and mount them on that in a frame. I've found the background scene I'm going to use in another painting so same guys, different inn. :)

Thanks for the encouragment, it's appreciated.

Roger.
  16. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Roger, This is a very nice little grouping of flats and I look forward to seeing your progress. Could you possibly send me a PM telling me where I might get one of these sets? I'm not sure if Jack Muldoon has them available here in the states or if I would have to order direct. The painting this comes from is a favorite of mine.

Jim
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  18. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Roger, will have to get these.

Jim
  19. conny Active Member

Germany
    Hi Roger,
    the arrangement of the figures look very good. We are very excited about the result.
    Here are two examples of the colors.
    1. painted by Petra Schulte
    kartenspiel_kl.JPG
    2. painted by John Russel
    IMG_1206.JPG
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you very much Conny and thanks for including the pictures.
    It is a shame to hide some of the figures but hopefully the results will justify my methods.

Roger.