1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Capt MERCER . RHA. 1815 MMM 200mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mick3272, Jun 20, 2015.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Sorry about this but I am getting the right hump trying to down load these photos.

Mick
    IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0054.JPG
    rado2828 likes this.
  2. JonH Active Member

Looking good Mick.
    I'd be happy with him wearing white breeches and boots at the start of the battle. I don't know whether Mercer was at the ball but RHA officers seemed to be almost as dandified as Hussars in the field.
    Jon
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Jon.
    Whats your take on the sword belt Black or White.
    Mick
  4. JonH Active Member

Hi Mick.
    I'd stick with white leather I think. Apparently Mercer spent the night of the 17/18th in a barn so probably not full dress!
    There's a couple of fairly modern paintings of Mercer and his battery showing him in grey,reinforced overalls with the red stripe and wearing a hussar barrel sash rather than the crimson sash.Older paintings and prints show Mercer specifically and RHA officers in general wearing white breeches and hessian boots with crimson sash.
    Jon
  5. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Jon.

Mick
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Greetings all
    . IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0059.JPG

Well the plan has gone slightly to to pot. I was going to start with the face and work down.( I have blocked the whites of the eyes though) However I got the air brush out and started to put some base colours down, wont bore you with them all on this post.
    I have made a start on the gold braid on the front of his jacket.

Apologies for the photos but my names not David Bailey and my camera is steam driven.

Fig.1 I decided to do the braid on the coat as if it needed to come off it would be easier than taking it off the pelisse as it is a bit delicate. Having undercoated the fig with a light grey primer I sprayed a light coat of Burnt Umber.

Fig 2 I then put a light coat of Yellow Ochre, but it came up far to bright so it had another thin coat of Burnt Umber.

Fig 3, I then gave it a coat of gold. This has come up very BRIGHT. I will fill in the Blue and see how it looks and dull the gold down. So it needs a lot more work.

Fig 4. This is my automatic wire coat hanger paint shaker attached to a jig saw.( proper job)

Please feel free to comment and make suggestions .
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far. Where did the base come from?

Mike
  8. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Mike.
    Thanks for support, I purchased the base for £2.00p from a trader at the Shepway Military Modelling show a few weeks ago. Sorry I haven't got any contact details for him.

Mick
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far
    Bob
  10. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Mick,

Got this one in my sights at the moment, just hope SWMBO aint looking through the same sights ;) Will follow with interest.

Mike,

Was at the same show, and I am fairly sure that the base came from Sovereign 2K. Cast in resin I think.

Tim
  11. Graham A Fixture

England
    Off to a great start Mick, love the bottle shaker idea lol. It's the braid etc that scares me on figures like this which is why I selected a Napoleon bust to minimise bling :-(
  12. JonH Active Member

Hi Mick.The braid might as well read "the horror".
    Is it done free hand or like my attempts of dry brushing and hoping a wash will fill in the gaps?
    It's some thing I' d value advice about.
    Your gold looks like a great start.
    Jon
  13. mick3272 A Fixture

Bob. Thanks for the support, fingers crossed.

Tim. Thanks, the base came from the chap in the corner next to the book seller and it is resin. Think you will enjoy this one nothing has popped up yet tnhat can bite you on the bum.

Graham. Have to admit to stealing the paint shaker idea but the one I saw was done with a clamp to fit all sizes, I only have the one size paint bottle so Heath Robinson coat hanger will do. It does the job. Yes not happy with the braid at the moment tooks like it has just left the shop in Savile Row but we will get there.

Jon. The gold was put on with an air brush and it looks so new and bright, will try to bring it down a bit and let you know how it comes out.

Thanks again for the support
    Mick
  14. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi,
    Well I'm back in the saddle having been walking in Wales for 5 days. Made a start in dulling the gold braid, pics later. whilst letting paint dry I made a start on the base. As stated it is resin 5 1/4. X 4 in. I Air brushed it Black and applied a Gloss varnish.
    I then fixed the slate Dolls house Cobble stones.

IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Photo 1. Shows fig in situ.
    Photo 2. Shows close up of laid cobble stones, awaiting them to be grouted in.
    Photo 3. Shows overall cobble effect.

Thanks for your support

Mick
    Tonton likes this.
  15. TADATSUGU Guest

Just found this thread. The issue of overalls came up on another thread recently. In Mercer's own journal he mentions buttoning up his overalls on the morning of the 16th before setting off for Quatre Bras. He later states that on the 19th, that he "undressed for the first time in four days" I would not therefore suggest you depict him in battle if you are making the kit kit up "from the box". He also states in the journal that he had a moustache, and he describes The day of the battle (Waterloo) as memorable! Understatement or what!
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi, David,
    Thanks for looking in. Although this kit is entitled Capt Mercer RHA 1815. The more information I glean the more I think I will entitle it " An Officer of the RHA 1815"
    And not make mention of a name, exact date or location.
    Prior to this figure being released I had never heard of Capt Mercer RHA. I just took a liking to the figure. So as stated earlier I will depict him standing on cobble's.

Thanks

Mick
    Tubby-Nuts2 and TADATSUGU like this.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cobbles look well (y)
    Steve
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Yes Steve, I'm pleased with the way they have come out so far. Mark ( Tubby-Nuts2) pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for looking in

Mick
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The cobbles look tickety boo Mick, and the base is a nice proportion for the figurr.
    Following this buddy
    Paul
  20. Graham A Fixture

England
    Coming together nicely Mick, like the idea of a scenic base.