1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Canadian Mounted Rifles - Boer War

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is a new one. Recently I took a business trip to Montreal. One of the sights that caught my eye was George W. Hill's life size sculpture commemorating Canadian Mounted Rifles and Strathcona Horse in the Boer War. I've started a 1/16th scale model of the sculpture. So I now have three projects I'm working on - this one, the Poilu cyclist in the deserted village and a US infantryman with a Hotchkiss LMG. Not exactly making great progress on any of them, but having fun!

I see some things I want to change in this one. The horse may be rearing up too high to work with the figure. As you can see the figure is armless so far. Lots to do yet.

Tips and comments welcome!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

balder, Mike S., Wings5797 and 8 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I wil be watching this one. It looks to be inspired.

Colin
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Colin and Eduardo - Much appreciated, gentlemen! The exact placement of the figure and the horse and its upright arm holding the bridle - I think that's gonna be tricky. The mounting for horse and figure - it's just a rocky hill. I plan to add tufts of dry grass and that's about it. I also plan to remove about one-third of it because it just isn't necessary and I'd like to keep the footprint of the base as small as possible.

All the best,
    Dan
    blaster likes this.
  5. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    What a great pose Dan. I looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Chuck
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Chuck! Exactly what attracted me in the first place. Mr. Hill created a dramatic scene and I wanted to recapture it in my mini.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hello Dan, this looks wonderful alway been interested in the M.I in their various forms. Could you please tell me where the R. Volstad came from.
    Thabk you and good luck with all your projects.
    Dennis
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan,
    Nice looking project mate, is that a Verlinden horse? it looks similar to one I have. Funny I have just started a project that took inspiration from a war memorial too. Good luck with this one.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Interesting looking sculpt Dan looks a great idea
    Steve

P.S. just started your KreigsMarine bod just so you know I haven't forgotten him
  10. Ray Welshman Active Member

Hi Dan,

I finished a 1/16 Sgt. Richardson Strathcona's Horse several years ago. I used a Verlinden German Officer and a DML Horse. If you are doing Strathcona's Horse do some research on the boots as they were specific to the Strats. Also do a search for pics on the web as there is a nice statue of a Strathcona in Calgary as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Central_Memorial_Park,_Calgary_-_R.L._Boyle.png

I still have a lot of pics I think from my research from several years ago if you want them sent to you let me know. I took pics from the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary.

I'm actually in the middle of a 1/35th Masterbox conversion of Sgt Richardson and the incident at Wolf Spruit where he was awarded his VC.

Thanks for sharing I have a lot of interests in this era and love seeing projects being done around it.

Cheers

Ray
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dennis, Richie, Steve and Ray: Thanks for your comments and interest!

Dennis - The illustration by Volstad I believe I just picked up by trolling Google Images for Canadian Mounted Rifles.

Richie - The horse is a Verlinden. I removed all the saddle and whatever and smoothed the horse all over. I then strengthened the rear legs by drilling a lot of them out and putting in straight metal rod and tube in the straight parts of the legs all the way up to the hips. I've tried converting rearing horses before only to find that they broke their legs. Lots of saddle and tackle to load on the horse later.

Steve - Glad to hear you're working on the Kriegsmarine figure. Frankly I'd almost forgotten you had him. :)

Ray - The figure is not a Strathcona horse and I know about the very elaborate boots worn by the Strathcona's. Mr. Hill's sculpture did not feature Strathcona horse boots on that figure either. Do you have photos of your conversion? Would like to see them if possible. Did you run into any problems you can tell me how to avoid?

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Ray Welshman Active Member

Hi Dan,

It was my first real foray into conversions, I couldnt get the Stetson hat right :) even now when I look at it, it looks funny. I'm glad I picked a smiling head lol. The other thing was I couldnt get my hands on a Lee Enfield MK1 rifle so had to convert/backdate a MK2 from WW1, getting the S shaped buckle right took a couple of tries as well. The figure in the statue your right is not a Strathcona but could easily be a CMR or Royal Canadian Dragoons (RCD - Also VC winners in the Boer War). I must say I'm really looking forward to seeing quality piece here of your figure when its done. If you do an image search on RCD or Strathcona's Boer war a fair amount of pics will come back. I've put a couple of pics up into my gallery.

Looking forward to seeing the progress pics

Cheers

Ray
  13. gdt Active Member

Belgium
    I like the idea of the sculpture and I really like the beginning.
    The only criticism I could make is the impression of volume shortage at the abdomen.

Gérard
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ray - I'll take a look!

Gerard - I noticed that also in the photos - not so much from the side or back, but just the front. I'll take care of that. Cheers!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Wow Dan, this is going to be a hell of a project and I am more than glad to see it come alive.
    Bes regards
  16. Dennis Active Member

England
    Dan thanks for that info on Volstad found some great Canadian uniform illustrations by him after following your lead.
    Dennis
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    MarquisMini - Many thanks - - and subtle hint - - I'm looking for someone better than myself to paint it after it is done.

Dennis - Glad to help! One of the things I've noted is that the double half circle belt buckle I put on the figure is probably wrong. I had a photo of another Canadian memorial depicting the same period that had a much clearer image of the ammunition belt and I goofed and also used it to make the wrong belt buckle. Still - I'd never made one of those before, so now I know how, etc. To the best of my ability to tell, the CMR would have worn Oliver pattern equipment - photos attached. I don't believe the mounted rifleman would have used the ammunition pouches however. Do you agree with all of the above?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I am sure you can do a great job at painting this work of art Dan.
    Take care
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, nonetheless...I'd rather have a better painter than myself.

All the best,
    Dan
    MarquisMini likes this.
  20. Ray Welshman Active Member

Hi Dan,

The mounted troops didnt use the full Oliver pattern, you are correct that they would have worn the belt with the S Shaped buckle and holster. Pretty well all mounted troops carried a pistol and the Lee Enfield MK1. Also the water bottle was discarded for the most part for the British Pattern canteen. The infantry would have used the full pattern but many of them also used a bandolier. As for the mounted troops they primarily would have used the bandolier as seen in the Volstad print. For the most part there would have been the standard off white haversack. Another thing that shows up in pictures of the period is the leg wrappings or puttees which may have been more prevalent in units other than the Strats (they really liked the Strat boots that the RCMP use to this day) but again there are pics of Strats with the puttees. The tunic had two patterns one with upper and lower pockets and some without. I'm sure as the conflict wore on troops like every other campaign started to wear and modify for comfort and useability hence the reason why the inadequate water bottle didnt last in favour of the better British pattern.

I almost forgot to mention I can put together my collage of pictures I've taken in Canadian Military museums from east to west coast of uniforms and equipment of the Boer war and send them along on a CD.

Cheers

Ray