1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Camel Mounted Touareg Warrior - 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by phil_h, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Phil
    I am with you all the way with the burnt umber. I find it is good for every colour. As best I can I avoid using colours strait from the tube. Especially black and white.
    All the best
    Keith
    anstontyke and phil_h like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Great and informative WIP Phil:).
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for sharing your method on the camel, love it. I wish this had been around 20 odd years ago when I last painted this beast with DF Grieve's Guards Camel corp figure.
    Great work , keep it up.
  4. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Chris - the next installment will be up momentarily!

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and stoffy01 like this.
  5. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks a lot Ralph, glad you're enjoying it :)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and swralph like this.
  6. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks for the encouraging words Bob!

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Everybody...

So the bad news is that I was going to do a full SBS on the saddle and whatnot, but unfortunately earlier today I accidentally deleted all the photos except of one - here it is:
    2017-03-29 21.39.07.jpg

This was taken right before I was going to do the backrest (the little chair), and the quiver full of javelins. Despite the missing pics, I'll do my best to write up what's going on. Also, I will go into some detail on the javelin quiver, because I did that after I deleted the other pics... so hopefully not all is lost :)

First, from above we can see a few additions to our palette. That's these two guys:
    2017-03-30 20.23.48.jpg

The saddle was base coated with a mix of Vat Orange and a little bit of Naphthol Red Medium. It was shaded by adding various degrees of Burnt Umber, and highlighted by adding a very small amount of Naples Yellow. The highlights are subtle; I wanted to give a softer look to the cloth covering the saddle. In addition to the saddle, there is the cloth underneath it. This was painted with alternating stripes between Phthalo Blue and a mix of Naples Yellow and Titanium White. Lastly, there is the harness and tassels which were base coated black, and then highlighted with Phthalo Blue, and then increasing highlights of Phthalo Blue mixed with Titanium White. Again as with the saddle, the highlights are kept to a fairly low contrast level.

That covers all the parts that are missing photos and brings us to the current detail - the javelin quiver (I'm sure there is a far more correct name for this.) Being that today is just not my day though, some of the pics are also a little out of focus. Anyway...

Here is the quiver primed up and ready for paint:
    2017-03-30 19.11.13.jpg

The first thing we're going to paint are the shafts of the javelins - they'll be wooden. When painting wood textures where it's too small to paint a grain texture or something similar, I still think it's important to create some kind of visual interest. In this case we'll do this by wet-blending some different earthy tones onto the shafts, and then blending in some inks.

Here are the shafts with Naples Yellow, Burnt Umber, and Vat orange all blended together in random combinations:
    2017-03-30 19.17.06.jpg

Despite the fact that this picture is pretty blurry, the one thing I wanted to show was the fairly bright color of the wood. By keeping things brighter initially, when we cover this work with the inks, we'll still see a lot of the color variation shine through, and after the inks are added, the overall look will not be too dark where everything gets lost. Speaking of inks - here are the inks used:

2017-03-30 20.17.17.jpg

These are 100% acrylic inks from Liquitex. I saw them in the store the other day and decided to give them a shot (My overwhelming preference for inks has been Winsor & Newton, but I figured why not try something new?) Here are the javelins with some of the Transparent Burnt Sienna ink layed on in various different dilutions.:
    2017-03-30 19.24.40.jpg

I finished off the Javelins by painting some metallic silver on the tips, and then giving them a wash of the Transparent Burnt Umber ink. After the javelins, came the quiver itself. I also decided to go for a wooden quiver; however, again, for visual interest, I decided that it was going to be a very scratched up quiver. The quiver was base coated in a very similar fashion to the javelin shafts - wet blending Burnt Umber, Naples Yellow, and Vat Orange (and again keeping things a little brighter because of the inks that we'll use again). Here's what this looks like:
    2017-03-30 19.41.34.jpg

To add the scratches, we'll freehand some very little black lines:
    2017-03-30 19.46.19.jpg

And now that the scratches are on, we'll highlight them with Titanium White:
    2017-03-30 19.58.16.jpg

Despite the fact that the white is fairly stark, once we use the inks, everything will settle down:
    2017-03-30 20.04.07.jpg

Just to give a different tonal variation between the quiver and the javelins, this is just a slight covering of pretty diluted Transparent Burnt Umber ink. Not shown is the top rim highlighted with a little bit of Naples Yellow.

Below are some pics of the final results attached to the camel:
    2017-03-30 20.16.11.jpg

2017-03-30 21.02.24.jpg

One thing I'll comment on is that with the exception of the red/orange colors, every other color has also been used to paint the camels fur. By limiting the palette to these tones I think we have a pretty decent harmony of color so far.

Now we can finally start on the Rider!

Thanks for reading,
    Phil
    Borek, Trex, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  8. Oda A Fixture

Absolutely fascinating Phil.I'm enjoying every bit of this SBS.

Oda.
  9. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Everybody (and thank you Oda)...

It's been sometime since I've posted an update... I went on vacation, and suffered a serious back injury, and was not able to get comfortable enough to paint for the last 3 weeks or so. However, I'm back on track and have a quick update...

First is the rider is completely finished and has been mounted to the camel. Because I still had much back pain, I didn't really put in the time to take pics to do an SBS - I just wanted to get him painted and done with. Also, I don't think there was anything particularly noteworthy with the rider - painting him up was a very straight forward process.

Aside from completing the rider, I decided to really challenge myself and do something I had no plans on doing to the camel - painting fur at this scale. (A friend more or less dared me to do it). The thing is, if this was a 54mm or a horse (at any scale), it wouldn't work. However, on a camel this big, I think it actually adds quite a bit to it. Also, I never did this before and I'm always up for a challenge and learning experience (and it was definitely both :) ). Despite the time it took to get it right, I was very, very happy with the result. In addition to the fur, I also added a small freehand pattern on the saddle.

With the rider finished, the only thing left to complete is the setting he will be put in. As mentioned prior, I am going to scratch build a rather lush oasis that our rider will be traveling through. I will be doing a SBS of the entire process for this.

Hope you like him so far!!

Regards,
    Phil

2017-04-16 15.58.05_s.jpg

2017-04-14 19.39.28_s.jpg
  10. Oda A Fixture

Phil,so sorry to hear about your injury.I hope things are better now.As for the figure,you've really nailed it my friend.The rider looks fantastic as too the saddle,the time you took to paint hair really paid dividends,it adds tremendously to the overall feeling of the piece.Well done indeed.I am looking forward to your oasis SBS.

Oda.
    phil_h and anstontyke like this.
  11. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    hi phil, i hope you are ok now.
    the build is stunning and the fur on the camel has just enhanced an already great build. following with great intrest.
    tony
    phil_h and Oda like this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive Phil, he is looking very nice, well done.
  13. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Phil hope you are fully recovered now-I've been watching this develop and felt that the Camel was too white and lacking detail. I think adding the fur has made all the difference it has also made it less stark and so much more realistic. Thanks for taking the time with the SBS I'm sure the introduction to pinning and filling will have been very instructional for newer members of the forum.

Thanks again and congratulations on the finished result.......Keith
  14. swralph A Fixture

Hi Phil
    Sorry to hear about your back and hope everything heals properly.
    The camel looks great with the fur added and makes it really stand out.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Phil.
    Hope your well on the mend.(y)
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Phil

Sorry about your back glad you are on the mend

Just read this thread all the way through ...excellent words and details and a great result looms from across the sand dunes

Thank you got sharing

Nap
  17. KuK_Grenadier PlanetFigure Supporter

Austria
    Hi Phil,I still follow this SBS with great interest.
    I hope, you are well again!
    The idea to paint the fur is great and very well done by you. Congrats.
    Now i wait for your base....:)

Christian
  18. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks buddy - the back is feeling better, but it's still very sore - I think it'll be back to normal in couple of weeks. I'm glad you liked the fur! I'll be posting the first steps on base tomorrow :)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and Oda like this.
  19. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the concern. I'm excited to be starting on the base, and can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke and Oda like this.
  20. phil_h A Fixture

United-States

Thanks very much for the kind words Bob :)

Regards,
    Phil
    anstontyke likes this.