1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Calgary Highlanders Sniper WWII

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ray Welshman, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Ray Welshman Active Member

For those Canadians out there most will recognize this picture of a Sniper from the Calgary Highlanders from WWII. Very unique uniform, a denison smock, gurkha knife, binos, sniper rifle etc. I've always wanted to do this subject and finally started. I'm using the old DML British Red Devil as a base for the torso, spare verlinden head, and parts from the Verlinden Para sniper. The final pose will be this guy resting his rifle on his right knee looking through his binos out a ruined window. I'm thinking right now a church window with broken stain glass. This time I will be treating the base as almost its own initiative.

Sergeant_H.A._Marshall_of_the_Sniper_Section,_The_Calgary_Highlanders.jpg

sniper1.jpg sniper2.jpg sniper3.jpg sniper4.jpg sniper5.jpg

I think I may have ruined the pocket on the left so will most likely redo that this week.

Thoughts, comments always welcome.

Cheers

Ray
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is an intriguing project.
    In my experience, if you think something needs re-doing then re-do it. It'll always bug you otherwise.
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    BTW that bloke in the photo looks a real mean devil... he means business, I'm glad he was on our side!
  4. Ray Welshman Active Member

Lol yea its coming off tomorrow. I think I hit it with my finger when I was doing the head scarf and the putty wasnt fully dry. Not a big deal to re do.

Yea apparently these guys were pretty effective snipers

Cheers

Ray
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice one Ray ........looking forward to seeing more

Great subject ...who is the actual sniper?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
  7. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Ray, don't know if you knew that this figure was released a while back by a U.K. based company whose name escapes me at the moment. Think it was 1/35th scale as was the rest of their range.
    You are doing a great job though and this way will make it your own.
    Barrie
  8. Ray Welshman Active Member

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Barrie I heard or saw somewhere the 1/35th scale version however my favorite scale is 1/16th or 120mm and really like doing conversions/scratch builds. Jimmy S thanks for sharing the link.

Cheers

Ray
  9. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Inside the armour do this guy in 1/35th :)

Nice idea for a conversion, following...
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    That's the one Mark, just couldn't remember who did it.

Barrie
  12. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Look forward to seeing this one done Ray. Great idea.

Steve Deyo
  13. Ray Welshman Active Member

Hi There,

I managed to get to the bench to get some more done on this guy. Ive gotten the lower torso completed and the basics around the smock done as well.

I use Miliput terracota to flesh out the limbs then a mixture of GW green stuff and miliput superfine for the detail. I use the same GW green stuff with aves as well.

Right now just put the wire in for the arms and working on the final pose.

Just a note when I started this guy I had no armature wire. I had lots of old TV cable wire around. It has a protective coating, then a wire mess then a plastic cover around copper. I stripped away the the protective outer and wire mess and just kept the plastic covered copper wire. I then trimmed enough copper away so I can attach the limbs. It bends fairly easy and unlike regular wire gives you the start of a shape to put putty on.

Comments/criticisms welcome

Cheers

Ray sniper1a.jpg sniper1b.jpg sniper1c.jpg sniper1d.jpg sniper1e.jpg sniper1f.jpg
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice progress, Ray! Is coming along very nice!
    When done this will be a tip-top piece!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Starting to flesh out nicely...

Will follow along closely

Colin
  16. Ray Welshman Active Member

Thanks Colin, Zeno

Im hoping to have it ready for priming by next week. Im still having some trouble with the right arm, getting it lined up properly. I'll be starting the base soon.

Cheers

Ray
  17. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Is this all you've managed since we got back from Chicago?! I have almost two of the four figures I picked up finished. We must convene a meeting of the Northern Alberta Figure society soon, because I need your input on how to paint a husky.
    On a more serious note, this conversion looks first rate. There's one thing I'd like to suggest if I may. It seems as though the position of the sholder is a bit low. I wonder if it shouldn't be a bit higher on the torso, as this might save you a bit of work later down the road. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
  18. Ray Welshman Active Member

Glenn,

Lol yea been busy but now the snow is here I will have more time. Good point about the shoulder that may be why im having trouble with alignment. I will take a look.

Im up for a get together, send out the email, maybe I'll bring one of my huskies lol.

Cheers

Ray
  19. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy