1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bust Trapper - Acrylic Painting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by aldamodel, Jan 21, 2018.

1. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    We finished the lights with the maximum light points. We add light flesh to Vallejo's color mix and apply points of light.
    [IMG]
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you for taking the time to share your process and post this great sbs . I know it will be a help to myself and others . I apologize if i missed it somewhere but can you tell us what you use to thin the vallejo acrylic paint ? And maybe give us an idea of the correct consistency. I understand people say to airbrush the consistency of the paint should be close to milk . Having a hard time with the idea for brush painting . Thanks for4 any info rob
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    I only use water with Vallejo's paintings. For example to apply the base coat I like to do it in three or four finer passes to cover, the amount would be 50% water and 50% paint.
    To apply lights 75% paint and 25% water approximately.
    And for the shadows I like to apply them very diluted in water 40% paint and 60% water.
    These measures are approximate.
    I hope this helps you.
    A greeting.
  4. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very informative SBS and I intend to give this a go so the detailed mixes etc are really useful, can I ask that when you apply each layer of diluted acrylic do you allow it to dry thoroughly before applying the next, I am tortured with the paint not drying to a Matt finish unless I add Tamiya X-21 but this effects the flow and texture of the acrylic.
    I notice that you dont use a wet pallet so do you find that the small well filled with diluted acrylic is easier to manage, I have tried to use a wet pallet but the paint doesn't stay totally watery for long, however I made this myself and I have been considering buying one available online for a supplier.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your techniques with us on PF.
    Terry
  5. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    Hello, Terry. Effectively every time I apply a coat of paint I let it dry completely, if we do not let it dry every time we pass the brush, we would change the paint so it would stick and possibly be satin. It is best to let the paint dry and reapply, dry and reapply until the color of the palette is put on the figure only so we will know that the paint layer is well applied and belongs to that rise in light, a Once the figure has the same applied color that is in the palette we can move to another rise.

I always use small wells for painting I think it is better controlled and for me it is more comfortable, I have used the wet palette several times and I do not get used to it, I do not know, I guess it will be a matter of taste.

A greeting.
    Alfonso.
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for your prompt reply I will give it a go.
    TERRY
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you for your thoughts on thinning the paint this will be very helpful
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Is it just me, or can anyone else 'not' see the photos ?
  9. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    I can see them without any problem
  10. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    After all the light rises we start with the shadows.
    We prepare the first shade adding to the base layer Uniform English of Vallejo 921 and Marron mate of Vallejo 984 we must remember that we have to add more water.
    We are applying the first shadows very soft under the cheekbones, where the beard starts under the lips, and in all the dark places.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have pics on my side as well
  12. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Face coming to life nicely.
    TERRY
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    Second shade, apply a little more English uniform plus a little water to the base.
    We are applying very slowly and letting it dry.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Greeting.
  14. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    For the remaining shades we add more uniform English of Vallejo to the base mix + a little black and we are applying.
    Once the shadows are finished we start with the middle tones.
    I use reds, oranges, yellows, violets, ochres, especially with a lot of water glazes.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    We start with the beard, mustache and hair.
    The mixture is 50% of brown mate of Vallejo 984 + 40% brown chocolate of Vallejo 872 + 10% of ocher brown of Vallejo 856.
    The lights are adding to the mixture more ocher brown and black shadows very diluted with water.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Greeting.
  16. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    We began to paint the necklace and pearls in ocher and blue respectively
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Greeting.
    anstontyke, frank h, samson and 2 others like this.
  17. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great stuff
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. aldamodel Active Member

Spain
    Let's go now with the suede jacket. For the first step we prepared a temporary base coat with black green 980 + olive gray 888 + French gray 900 all of Vallejo brand.
    We apply a couple of very soft layers without much concern for their termination, once dry directly from the boat we put white paint in the places where it has light and maximum light.
    Then we prepare what will be the final base coat with dark green 893 + olive 888 + shade toasted 941 + brown mate 984 all from the Vallejo brand. Now if we apply the entire jacket, with this mixture of paint will give us a more earthy appearance.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Greeting.
    winfield, anstontyke and samson like this.
  19. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great stuff
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I see you're not playing games here....one of the most informative SBS with acrylics I have seen and I must say I like it and much appreciated..... The piece is looking great....

Wayne
    Jeff T and anstontyke like this.