1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Bust - Siegfried Sassoon 1917

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Monday is the 100th Anniversary of the entry of Britain (and by extension Canada) into the Great War. It's also my 30th wedding anniversary - guess which my wife cares most about!?!?

One of my favourite films is "Regeneration," based on Pat Barker's trilogy. The film and books focus on the relationship between 3 of Britain's most famous war poets as 2 of them undergo treatment for shell shock in Edinburgh's Craiglockhart Hospital. It was here that Siegfried Sassoon became mentor to Wilfred Owen. Sassoon was committed to the hospital for shell shock treatment after writing a vitriolic letter to The Times declaring that the war had moved from a noble war of defence and liberation to one of conquest and for the benefit of war profiteers.

Sassoon is famous for his anti-war poems. But he was also a valiant officer who won an MC and who was recommended for a VC. He was known to his men as "Mad Jack."

This model will be smaller than my recent Napoleonic efforts. It may form the start of a small series of war poets including Owen, Robert Graves, John McCrae, and William Noel Hodgson. Sassoon was a member of 3 RWF so I will be including the famous flash behind his collar. I am sculpting in sculpey firm.

The model is very early stages rough sculpt only. Lots more to do.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Excellent choice Colin...looking ford to seeing this develop

Think for hiring

Nap
    crf likes this.
  3. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for that bit of history. The only Sassoon I was familiar with was Vidal.
    Looking forward for your sculpt as always.
    crf likes this.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You always choose important personality subjects Colin.
    Siegfried is definitely one of them.
    Look forward to learning more as this project unfolds as well as reflecting on some poetry along the way.

Thanks for sharing

Mike
    crf likes this.
  5. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    This sounds like a great wee project Colin and very poignant. I'm in the process of doing a watercolor to mark the start of the war, 2nd Argylls as a part of the BEF were possibly the first British battalion in France. I'll be watching with interest.
    All the best,
    Scotty.
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I hope you post your painting when it's done Scotty. Use the lounge if you can't find a better spot.

Here's a nice little you tube video of Sassoon and Robert Graves (of "I Claudius" fame) interacting with Young Indiana Jones from the series of the same name. Sassoon is particularly well cast I think.

Colin
    napoleonpeart and ChaosCossack like this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sassoon at the end of yesterday's fun.Still lots to do shaping the face and getting those ears right.

Siegfried_Sassoon_by_George_Charles_Beresford_(1915).jpg sassoon2.jpg siegfried-sassoon.jpg

P1010500.JPG P1010492.JPG P1010493.JPG P1010494.JPG

Here's an excerpt from Regeneration, where Sassoon meets Owen for the first time. Again well cast with James Wilby playing Sassoon. If you have an interest, the entire film is up on youtube, as are other WWI excellent films like "My Son Jack" (KIpling and his son) and "All the King's Men" (Sandringham Company at Gallipoli). If you haven't seen regeneration, I encourage you to give it a shot - excellent film on the cost of war and the home front. Its definitely on my 10 favourite films list.

And a poem by Sassoon:
    Does it Matter?

Does it matter?-losing your legs?...
    For people will always be kind,
    And you need not show that you mind
    When the others come in after hunting
    To gobble their muffins and eggs.
    Does it matter ?-losing your sight?...
    There's such splendid work for the blind;
    And people will always be kind,
    As you sit on the terrace remembering
    And turning your face to the light.
    Do they matter?-those dreams from the pit?...
    You can drink and forget and be glad,
    And people won't say that you're mad;
    For they'll know you've fought for your country
    And no one will worry a bit.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Undercoated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Siegfried Sassoon (1886–1967). Counter-Attack and Other Poems. 1918.

The General

‘GOOD-MORNING; good-morning!’ the General said
    When we met him last week on our way to the line.
    Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of ’em dead,
    And we’re cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
    ‘He’s a cheery old card,’ grunted Harry to Jack
    As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.
    . . . .

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.
    pmfs, swralph, Scotty and 2 others like this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've read the trilogy and watched the film.
    Looking good Colin.(y)
    crf likes this.
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You've captured his mouth especially well Colin.

Mike
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Carl - thanks and I am not surprised at all that you are in top of these :)

Mike - thanks. I think the mouth and ears have to be his 2 distinguishing characteristics.

Colin
    housecarl likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hello Colin, the poetry of the Great War has always been one of my interests and I keep coming back to it. I think I'm on my third copy of "Up the Line to Death".
    My favorite of these verses is:
    You smug faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.
    I hope the bust goes well:)
    Best wishes, Gary.
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Gary:

I thought my high school English teachers had successfully extinguished any interest I might have had in poetry. But as I picked up an interest in the Great War a few years ago I was drawn into the story of the public school officer corps and their frequent sidelines as poets. Fascinating people. It makes you wonder at what possibilities died with all those men, of all classes and countries...and what erosion in overall standard of education came from the 2 world wars.

Colin
    Scotty likes this.
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    It must be the same in any war, I remember reading in James Longstreet's autobiography about a young charismatic officer who would have been a badly needed leader in the civil war, but he was killed in the Mexican war.
    Gary.
    Scotty and crf like this.
  15. nuvolari Member

Nice project, I follow it with great interest.
    Keep up the good work, I love the poetry that goes with it.

Cheers,
    Danny
    Scotty, garyhiggins and crf like this.
  16. swralph A Fixture

Lovely sculpting.
  17. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin
    Very nice facial likeness and a great subject to tackle just now.
    John