1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Buller's rescue of D'Arcy 1879.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    My latest Zulu war project in 120mm scale.

Blood On The Painted Mountain, Zulu War 1879.

A historical background to the making of the model.

The Zulu stronghold of Hlobane, pronounced Shlo-baan (“the painted Mountain”) dominated a vast area of disputed land in northern Natal. The slaughter as Hlobane was second only to that at Isandlwana two months earlier, which ravaged the morale in the British Army.
    This in part was responsible for the highly questionable conduct of some of the officers when faced with the enemy at Hlobane, leading to the British rout at Devil’s Pass. Hlobane was the only engagement of the Zulu war that the British fought entirely as a mounted force (although supported by Swazi foot auxiliaries). The colonial horsemen of Colonel Wood’s No. 4 column were local volunteers almost to a man (and some of them had previously escaped Isandlwana).
    Lieutenant-Colonel Redvers Buller saving the life of Captain Cecil D'Arcy, of the Frontier Light Horse, who was retiring on foot, and carrying him on his horse until he overtook the rear guard. Also for having on the same date 28th March 1879 and under the same circumstances, conveyed Lieutenant C. Everitt, of the Frontier Light Horse, whose horse had been killed under him, to a place of safely. Later on, Colonel Buller, in the same manner, saved a trooper of the Frontier Light Horse, whose horse was completely exhausted, and who otherwise would have been killed by the Zulus, who were within 80 yards of him at Devil’s Pass during the battle of Hlobane was an act of valour that earned Buller the Victoria Cross.
    buller rescues darcy.jpg redver-buller.jpg revers buller.jpg

The Model.

I have attached above a number of illustrations showing the rescue of D’Arcy and the basis for my model. I purchased Verlinden’s 1741 General Colbert 120mm Red Lancer figure as the basis of my conversion as the pose of the horse fit the bill to a tee.
    CIMG4797.JPG CIMG4798.JPG

I have just taken a laborious 4 hours plus to grind off the Napoleonic saddle and unwanted head tack. I must say the fit of the horse's neck to the body was bloody awful. I have tacked the horse together ready to fill and sand down. The standing figure will have the left leg altered so the foot is in the stirrup and the right arm will be firing a pistol. All comments and help always greatly appreciated.
    CIMG4799.JPG CIMG4800.JPG CIMG4801.JPG
    Cheers
    Richie
    captnenglish, Osebor, crf and 10 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I'm gonna follow this very close.
    Always like conversions.

Marc
  3. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow Richie this is going to be fantastic fella. The thought going in to it is the sort of attention to detail required to bring a complex scene together. I have obviously witnessed your skills and have every faith in you producing a beauty.

This is not my era but I appreciate ambition and the constant testing of modelling skills, after all this is how we improve.

Following with a bucket load of interest matey!

Dave
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc & Dave,
    Thanks for looking lads, I am glad you like my second mounted Zulu war project. I have been putting this off for a while due to the saddle but after reading the episode of Devils Pass yesterday in the book Blood On The Painted Mountain I was inspired to get on with it.
    Hopefully some good progress tomorrow as I am off work and have been excused duty:) anyway that's what she told me.
    cheers
    Richie
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another ambitious project Richie, should be good.
    Carl.(y)
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carl,
    Thanks for looking in mate, I think this one will push me more than the last project. I am also going up my game in the painting department after being inspired at the S & L. What mounted project are you on with???? after your oil paint acquisition.
    cheers
    Richie
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Very nice Idea!

In will follow Your sbs with great interest.

Cheers
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    About time ;)
    great to see you tackle this one mate and from the looks of things you seem to be handling it well, will make for a very dramatic scene when complete, will definitely be following along.

All the best

Steve
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Richie. I'm building up to have a bash at that 54mm Romeo cowboy that I got for a song at S&L.
    If it doesn't go as planned, it will probably find it's way into the for sale pile.:rolleyes:
    Carl.
  10. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Will be watching in anticipation

Ken
  11. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    I was always fascinated by this period and the British empire. I am like the rest of the guys going to follow this closely. All the best in this project Richie.(y)
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie looks like a great start and as you say that Verlinden horse's stance fits perfectly with the reference picture. Looking forward to following this one. (y)

Cheers Ken
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Martin thanks for looking in and the interest.

Hi Steve mate, yes you're right - about time, got sick of looking at the dust on the boxes.

Hi Ken thanks for looking in.

Hi Nicolas thanks for looking in, my favourite period too(y)

Hi Ken thanks for looking in, if you are stuck for sculpting ideas I can give you loads - might be on the Zulu war period though;)

Hi Carl look forward to seeing you tackle the horse.

Have managed to get some more work done today, I think this is going to be a long build so bear with me, I have never done so much cutting, grinding and sanding. I'm choked up with dust and need a glass of something to wash it out. Back to the cutting, grinding and sanding tomorrow.
    cheers
    Richie(y)
    CIMG4803.JPG CIMG4804.JPG CIMG4805.JPG CIMG4807.JPG CIMG4811.JPG
    Martin Rohmann and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another step in the right direction Richie, all looking good so far fella. Take your time with the build mate it will definitely pay off in the end. The dangerous part is nearing the end (for me) when your mind starts to wonder about the next project. Larger projects take discipline ( my Tiger build has hit month 10 ) and I find I cannot start anything else until this is 100% complete, but all the time I'm thinking about the quality rather than the numbers on the shelf.do not be afraid to realign,move,sculpt stuff that you may have done before. Be honest with yourself and sort areas out that do not seem right etc.

Anyway I'm waffling, keep it going and look forward to the next updates!
    Dave
    Wings5797 likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    I missed this thread and I am not sure how because the Victorian Army is my prefered period and usually catch my eye.
    Your composition and choice of parts for this piece is impecable. I will be watching with interestand hope to pick up a few tips.
    Great stuff Mate can't wait for the next installment.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,
    One thing I have learned from you is if you need to step back, then walk away. I have done nothing in the last 3 weeks.

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for looking in mate and your kind words. The Victorian period certainly has a lot of scope.

Just a small update, I have been reconstructing the patrol jacket detail, using fuse wire, solder wire, lead foil and milliput. Still away to go on this figure but things are moving again.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG4836.JPG CIMG4837.JPG
    Lew J likes this.
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic.....one really worth watching.
    Cheers
    Derek
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    This will be a cracker

Ken
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking great so far Richie.

Roger.
  20. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Richie, it will be great when done and just think of ll the new skills being learnt along the way.

Cheers
    Dave