1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brushes

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by trickydicky, Jan 11, 2015.

1. trickydicky Member

Has any body used brushes from rosemary &co if so info please been looking at there seies 33 kolinsky sable brushes been modeling for quite a time just venturing in to doing busts and figures so looking for a new brush
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    33 Kolinsky are the only brushes I use.
    Excellent service and value for money.(y)
    Stash likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Got to agree with Carl here , I do also use some from Broken Toad Miniatures..and my beloved W & N series 7

Best advice really get the best you can afford , Rosemary's are a great product

Nap
    Stash likes this.
  4. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Not so good for Oils, nothing to beat series 7.

Claude
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Agree Series 7 are the best but I use both those mentioned with my Cobra water soluable oil..no problem

As with picking a wife very much a personal choice!!

Nap
    garyhiggins and Wings5797 like this.
  6. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

I'll let my wife know....LOL

Claude (The Troll) Portsmouth
  7. trickydicky Member

Thanks for all replys food for thoughto_O
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Use Rosemary and Broken Toad equally good with oils and acrylics
    Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Vallejo P518 are very good, and for oils the new Escoda Versatil.

Cheers
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Not getting into this one, good brushes are wasted on me, I paint too much like Monet and not enough like Millais :(:(:(
    Tubby-Nuts2 and theBaron like this.
  11. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Love the W&N series 7. Thanks for the info on the other brushes. I'll try them.
  12. chris1 Active Member

I use the cheap one from the $2.00 shop.while not ideal I can get a couple of figures per brush,I tend to be fairly hard on them.They are a synthetic.I paint in Oils and enamels.

Chris
    garyhiggins and pmfs like this.
  13. Stash Member

I struggled for weeks to make a decision on quality brushes, and I didn't think I'd like the longer bristles of a Rosemary 33 (they are quite longer), as compared to a W & N series 7, and I was wrong, very wrong. I love my Rosemary & Co brushes big time. I thought I'd have more control with shorter bristles and it's the exact opposite for me, my control improved with longer bristles. You simply can not go wrong if you ask me. The quality for the money is second to none. (Image curtesy of bolterandchainsword.com)

1: Rosemary & Co Series 33 - Size 0
    2: Rosemary & Co Series 33 - Size 1
    3: Rosemary & Co Series 33 - Size 2
    4: Rosemary & Co Series 33 - Size 3

5: Winsor & Newton Series 7 - Size 000
    6: Winsor & Newton Series 7 - Size 0
    7: Winsor & Newton Series 7 - Size 1
    8: Winsor & Newton Series 7 - Size 2

9: Raphael 8404 - Size 0
    10: Raphael 8404 - Size 1 image.jpg
    Babelfish and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. trickydicky Member

Thanks for reply I made a desicion and I bought series 33 brushes ta richard
    Stash likes this.
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This important topic is a Hardy Annual on the Planet. To be honest you can get all the advice in the world but at the end of the day it's what suits you and your pocket best.
    I've had great and duff W&N series 7's same for Rosemary. The critical thing is brush care, unless you work out a use discipline you're really just wasting money regardless of brand.
    I'm now into the 8th month of using a set of 4 Broken Toad brushes and they're only now showing a bit of hooking, I expect to get plenty of value out of them yet.
    The best tip I can give is keep specific brushes for each of the mediums you use, particularly keep a set for metalics.
    Cheers
    Derek
  16. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just thought I'd mention, I got a couple of sable brushes from model display products in the new year and I've really taken to them, quite long and slender but I guess it just suits the way I paint. Anyway, they're marginally cheaper than the other suppliers I've found so I think I'll be stocking up.
    Stash likes this.
  17. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gary, I am rather glad you have said this!:D I have hands like 'Sledge-Hammers'.:eek: especially with brushes'.

I try to keep things practical, and easily replaceable such as 'Pro-Arte', and the like. Once to often have I mullered, such things as W/N Series 7, and others.:whistle: A hard lesson on the wallet.

Regards,

Mark
    Buckledresin and garyhiggins like this.
  18. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I have great respect for top quality brushes, but knowing how I paint, I think that respect is best expressed by me not using them:(:).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Buckledresin and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  19. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gary,(y)
    As you know. This type of thread has been covered numerous times and then some.:eek: I could be wrong, but I do remember going 'Hell for Leather', with top end kit/brushes when I first ventured into this arena of painting. Ouch, that hurt the finances. A hard lesson learnt.:(

Good brushes, do not make a good painter !

I for one cannot advocate this type of expenditure of top end kit without feeling one's way into this area of painting with less expensive stuff first.

Ok,.. 'Hard-Hat', time. :eek:

Regards,

Mark
    Buckledresin and garyhiggins like this.
  20. Stash Member

Good brushes alone cannot make a good painter, very true. However, good brushes can and often do, make a good painter better.
    garyhiggins likes this.