1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brushes from "The Brushman"

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Nap, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks

No matter what you model one item none of us can do without is of course the paintbrush .

So its nice to be able to share my thoughts on a gentleman that has been producing brushes now in the family for 4 generation so a heck of a lot of knowledge and skill has been passed down across the years

Can I introduce PF to David Jackson ...aka

brush 004.jpg

As I said David is the 4th generation brushmaker , using skills passed down through his family , and he certainly knows his stuff .

brush 001.jpg

He was at the Stoke Show recently and enjoyed showing how brushes are made , enjoying the feedback he got and appreciating the interest shown in his trade stand.
    I had seen details on FB so contacted him telling him about PF , he was very interested in showing us his wares so he sent me some samples which you see below.

brush 002.jpg
    brush 005.jpg
    brush 003.jpg brush 004-001.jpg

Initial impressions

Firstly the response from David was 1st class , lightning fast shipping and well packed stuck with tape onto a hard transit card .

All brushes did not come with any plastic covering and are not treated from what I can see so I was able to get straight on and use them.

The ferrules are golden in colour with the full brush details on the handle itself in clearly written lettering .

The handle is nicely finished using quality wood , blacked and polished.

The actual brush head is secure and the whole package shows expertise and quality in making ...all of which is a very good thing to see in hand made brushes

David sent brushes that I wouldn't use normally so SWMBO wanted to give them a trial as well so Carole has been using some as well except the Standard Length , Spotters which grabbed running into my room laughing !!

Carole has been using the brushes for over 3 days and have found them not only to be very easy to hold and use but they look very good indeed and more importantly do the job extremely well , particularly being impressed with the Riggers and Fine detail brushes as well as the Special effects ..ideal for her current work .

My thought are that the spotters are very useful additions to the brush pot with the Standard also be good , I used a fine details brush for surface work on some belts I am painting and they worked well.

Paint retention is very good and the flow to the model was good with paint going where I wanted it to ...for once!!

Brushes were cleaned initially out in distilled water as I always do then a commercial brush paste was used also ...the points were then put back to shape retaining their shape very nicely .

Couple of things to say:

The way David likes to work is to work with the customer to ensure the brush is what they want.

David takes Paypal and is on FB as well as having a website at www.ArtistsBrushes4u.com , also www.TheBrushman.co.uk ( both under construction )

Contact details also above in 2nd picture

He now has a new workshop and customer showroom which you are welcome to go to and see and see how he makes brushes ..but ring first to make sure he will be in !!!!

Hopefully he might consider doing more model shows as well

David is located in Staffordshire at:

Artists Brushes 4 u,
    Brushman Workshop
    Upper Hulme Mill
    Upper Hulme
    Near Leek
    Staffordshire
    ST13 8TY

Phone: 07703372182 OR 07482350956

Email: The Brushman@hotmail.co.uk

Final Thoughts

Its good to have another outlet for brushes , it has to be the most important thing to get right , and with a reasonable price as well as fast shipping I have no hesitation in saying give these a try ..you will not regret it .

Thanks to David for the samples , both Carole and I enjoyed the trial and will certainly continue using them with pleasure.

Happy brushing folks

Nap
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can thoroughly recommend these brushes - David and his family have supplied the ceramics industry in my area for generations. They supplied bespoke brushes to Royal Doulton and would customise brushes to suit an individual's style to their actual requirements. Nothing is too much trouble for David and he will take time to discuss any type or style of brush you may want. He was at Telford last year and I think he is planning on trading at more shows, now that he sees a suitable market for his products - top bloke, top brushes!

Steve
  3. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    i saw david at stoke, what a nice guy and excellent products. the demos he was doing were a real pleasure to watch.

tony
    napoleonpeart and valiant like this.
  4. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Great review Nap, and many thanks for bringing this to our notice. Also to Steve and Tony for their endorsement of them.

Chris
    Geoff Charman, valiant and anstontyke like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great revieuw.
    What brush can you recommend for the oilpainters among us.
    Looks like the spotter will do..

Marc
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Marc

Spotters are excellent , I suggest just e mail David he is a very helpful chap and know his brushes !

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    Is there any updated links for these brushes. None of the links above work and I cannot find anything on Facebook either.
    anstontyke and valiant like this.
  8. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Graham,

Ironically I had the same problem today. I emailed David on his hotmail account Brushman@hotmail.co.uk and am awaiting a reply;

Chris
    anstontyke and valiant like this.
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    try looking up David Jackson on FB and contacting him via that - it seems to be working atm(y)
    anstontyke, napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  10. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Finding good brushes is getting harder and harder, I've got some Hawk and they are good.
    I've picked up the odd W&N series 7 where I can, although there not as good as they were and are getting too expensive.
    I recently purchased a set from Sphere products, they look good quality.
    I'll be checking out the links above.

Malc