1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Brush Care

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Indy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Indy Member

United-States
    Any tips for cleaning and caring for paint brushes ?
  2. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Indy

I paint in oils and when i have finished a session I wash the brush in "Pure Turpentine" (Rustins) I'm in the UK and buy this from a hardware store. I also use Rustins for thining my paint.

I then wash the brush with soap and clean water,following this I reshape them and replace the tube over the bristles that usually comes with a quality brush. Ready for the next session. Good brushes are expensive so it pays to look after them.
    Hope this helps.

Peter.
  3. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sounds strange, but when I've cleaned the brushes I use some the wife's hair conditioner on them. Just make sure the its washed off thoroughly before storing. I find it puts the suppleness back to the brushes (especially if you are using spirit based paints and thinners).

-Rich
  4. Bootneck Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me as I wash them in hair shampoo. Just don't use that wash and gone,I did now I'm as bald as a coot. Lol.

Peter.
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  5. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
    I use 'The Master's' Brush Cleaner and Preserver. It comes in a small plastic pot and cleans oil, watercolour or acrylic paints from a brush. Its like a hard soap and you just add water to the brush and lightly rub the head in the soap and then wash it off. It really helps preserve the shape of the brush. I bought mine in a local art materials shop.

Mark
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  6. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just Googled that, it looks really good - even restores old brushes as well! Many thanks for the tip Mark :)

-Rich
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    As mentioned in another thread, I like Windsor Newton brush cleaner and conditioner and is the last stage in cleaning. Can be used on all paints.
    Hair conditioner is a handy substitute for conditioner. After all Sable is a hair.
    Cheers
    John