1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

British WW1 Tanker Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mil-mart, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Started this bust of a WW1 British tank crew member, I was originally going to do the bust wearing the strange looking helmet and the facemask with chainmail but have been reliably informed they were never worn together. So came up with 2 heads, one with facemask and the other wearing the helmet.
    All comments welcome, many thanks for looking.

Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Ken,

it´s the 1st WWI tank crew that I saw, nice subject.:cool:
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great idea Ken, something you dont see very often, bust is coming along nicely.

Steve
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pedro, appreciate your comment, many thanks.
    Cheers Ken
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great start Ken. I like both heads. Will follow your progress with interest.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, the hard bit is yet to come, thats the chainmail and the strange shaped helmet :) Many thanks for your comment.
    Cheers Ken
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ken,
    Very nice start and great subject.
    Cheers,
    John.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The helmet looks a proper Heath Robinson design. It will be something very different, very nice Ken.
    Carl.
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, many thanks, hope to post progress tomorrow if I can get the helmet looking something right.
    Cheers Ken

John, appreciate your comments.

Cheers Ken
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl, Heath Robinson :) -a very apt description, at the moment I think I have the shape correct-ish, but it looks a bit too Star Wars like. I now need to make it more homemade looking and a bit battered . Thanks for comments.
    Cheers Ken
  11. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    hi Ken!

nice start and i'll be following :)

Mark
  12. cptan Member

ken,

Great stuff.But on the other hand I can't keep my mind away from Kato the Green Hornat side-kick :D

[IMG]
    CPTan
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, appreciate your comments - cheers

Cptan, Kato, :D:D:D your's right..... Hey if the British tanker doesn't work, I'll use that as my back-up plan. ;) cheers.
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As you can see, made a little bit of progress. I had previously tried the methods currently shown on another thread ' How to make chainmail'
    I'm afraid without much success, so I used a thin gold chain ( don't tell the wife ) :) which I glued and laid horizontally. I then cut individual links and glued these to the sides and just below the eyes of the facemask with the following result. Would be interesting to know what you think, did it work or should I go back and try the 'C' method again.
    Many thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

Cheers Ken

Attached Files:

15. Nap Moderator

England
    Tanker

Hi Ken ,
    This is coming along nicely , look forward seeing the rest of it , the only thing I would say is that the chainmail looks slightly overscale and a bit too heavy if you know what I mean , having seen and handled one of these in real life its protective but a smaller link for the mail.
    Like the way the "Gor Blimey" cap is coming along as well , looking forward to seeing the leather helmet , these are just like something out of the middle ages , sinister .

Would like to see the top of the cap please .

This is the start of a series , will contact you ref this .
    Keep sculpting

Nap
  16. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ken,
    Excellent stuff mate.I like the worn crumpled look of the hat.The mask looks great too.
    Cheers
    Andy
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ken, I think your chain method would work. I just feel that the chains are a little thick in comparison with the original. You will just have to hope your Wife has some that are finer.
    Thats my two bobs worth,
    Carl.
  18. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kev, Andy & Carl many thanks for your comments, much appreciated Hmmm....too thick, too heavy, Ok - I think I'll sleep on it and look again with fresh eyes in the morning. :confused::)
    Keep you posted.
    Cheers Ken
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Tanker

Hi Ken ,
    Looking at the picture of the helmet WIP it needs to be a lot closer to the actual head on the sides .

Looking forward seeing this progress .

Nap
  20. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well after pondering the use of the gold chain and it looking bulky, I decided to follow the majority decision and rip it off :eek: . Went back to using the 'C' method for chainmail.
    Also started again on the helmet and think this time it's nearer to the basic shape than before,but still a lot of work to do.
    The tank track thingy is an idea for the base.
    Many thanks for looking and I welcome your comments. Sorry for the poor pics.
    Cheers Ken :)
    BTW I know the butons are too large, I've yet to shave them down, thanks

Attached Files: