1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Brit Para officer finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, May 6, 2010.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Finished at last.
    All done in acrylic apart from wooden stock on sten gun which was oils.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    ubbi, tissibzh, Dennis and 4 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Grant, the Denison looks spot on.

Roger.
  3. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Excellent painting Grant !! Congratulations !

I have ordered the £95 4-figure set of these beautiful AMP Miniatures paras two weeks ago, but am still awaiting delivery of the parcel ... :(

... I wait and wonder ... maybe ordering these figures was like going A Bridge Too Far ? :)
  4. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant,
    Really great job - the subtle colouring on the rest of the figure works very well to show off the camouflage. Its a great technique you've found there.
    cheers
    Mat
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work Grant, the camo is especially well done.

Cheers David
  6. Ferris A Fixture

This looks really good Grant.
    The denison turned out very convincing!
    Congrats!

Adrian
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I love all of it Grant. Very well done.
    Carl.
  8. JammyBee New Member

United-Kingdom
    I have been waiting 5 weeks for my Para from them so do not hold your breath:(
  9. Trep Active Member

United-States
    very nice work on th cammo,looks spot on
  10. Dennis Active Member

England
    Grant you have done a smashing job on this, the camo is spot on.

Well done
    Dennis
  11. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I too have been waiting quite a while for some figs from them also....and no reply to my queries either.....
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Personal messages sent.

Messages sent to the peeps waiting for figures.
  13. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Good work on the fig Grant. Your tecnique for the smock has worked really well. Well done m8
    Barrie
  14. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    OK, everything cool - thanks ;)

by the way, I also think the denison smock turned out superb.
    Just a personal thought if you allow - there is still an old post somewhere on this forum in which someone gave the following advice for painting a Denison smock : first paint the camo pattern in the right place in the right colours (which you have done very well, congrats !), then let it dry thoroughly, then go over it with a thin transparent glaze of Raw umber oil paint , or even Raw umber mixed with Olive green oil paint, to bring all the colours together, and then finally highlight the tops of creases etc with Naples yellow (I suppose by means of a controlled drybrush in said places) so that the smock on the figure gets the "worn" faded look and feel of the real thing ...
    It was also suggested to put the figure near a heat source to make the oil paint dry matte.
    what do you think ? Good method ?
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll look for that thread.

I ran a glaze of chocolate brown in the recesses and then a glaze ofEnglish uniform all over to tone down the yellow taint of the smock and to try and tie it in with the trousers. The work in progress pics show how yellow it was.I then mixed some pale yellow I think it was into the base colour for highlights. I also used black on the seams and pocket linings for depth. (All acrylics)
  16. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Grant,

here, I think : http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11886

I was the one who raised the question back then, but never actually got round painting that figure ... :( other stuff came in the way.... maybe now is the moment to try that technique, don't know ... might also try it your way as that really looks superb.

Oh btw, when you're reading this thread, please ignore the bullshit about Corona with Lemon ;) I was young way back then :)
  17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant lovely job with this one mate and i like your rendition of the denison smock, beret looks spot on for colour also.

The only thing bothering me is the fact he is an officer and he has a map, he wont have a clue what to do with it :p, hes better off passing it over to the platoon sergeant :D.

seriously though great job on this one mate,

Steve(y)
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great paintwork Grant and the camo looks top!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  19. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice and the dennison looks great

Mark

:)
  20. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So true Steve,
    I went ultra real with him..that's why he's holding the map upsidedown!