1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Braveheart 1995

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 22, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just completed this latest piece from Nocturna Models,its a bust of william wallace based on the mel gibson character from the 1995 movie Braveheart,the figure comes in a grey resin with seperate parts for the hair tails and pedastal.
    I have painted my version which depicts Mr Gibson at the battle of stirling in which he is portrayed wearing the war paint during the battle.
    I am aware that their has been a lot of disscusion regarding the real william wallace and the historical facts surrounding him but i have solely painted this bust from the film view only.
    The figure was painted as with all my other pieces with acrylic undercoats and finished with artists oil paints,battle weathering was completed with games workshop inks.
    I decided not to use the resin pedastal supplied with the kit and i substituted this with some brass rod.
    I wanted to display this bust differently to other busts i have completed in regards to the base itself,i purchased some pieces of cork from my local modelrailway shop which is normally used for representing rock,i used a piece of this which i undercoated with acrylic black and airbrushed in several different tones of earth and grey colours,this was then weathered with washes of sepia to give the look of rock/stone,the figure was then mounted onto the cork to give it the feel of the scottish highlands,a small square has been left vacant which will be used for the name plate.
    All in all a very nice piece from Nocturna which was very enjoyable to paint,i hope you like the photo's and any coments or critisim are most welcome.
    Happy Modeling brian (y)

Attached Files:

sarouman, tonydawe, flart1943 and 3 others like this.
  2. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Beauutiful job....nice idea with the base.
    Nice to see a rendition of Mel in quieter days...
  3. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    It's very beautiful and is original painting.
    A facial expression and an expression of armor are very wonderful.
    A base is also the idea that they're cool.
    (I remembered a kit of old KIRIN.)
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Brian! (y)
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice rendition of this figure, I like the way you have used quite a high contrast/highlight, very artistic. Your blood stains are quite realistic as well, can you give us a run down of how you did this.
    Ben
  6. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Love the bust as much as the movie. Great painting Brian. Congrats.
  7. bed172 Active Member

United-States
    Very nicely done. I would also like to know how you did the blood stains. Loved the movie and I love the job you did on your bust.
    Bob
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great paintwork.

marc
  9. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paintjob, Brian!
    Eddy
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The base sets it off well Brian.
    Carl.
  11. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Brian.....!!!
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic painting Brian, great weathering and blood effects.

Cheers David
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Phil / Mitsutaka / Gordy / Dimitrios / Marc / Eddy / Carl / Steve / Dave many thanks guy's for all your kind coments.

Ben / Bob - the blood stains wer'e achieved with games workshop Red and Chestnut coloured inks,i have a couple of old brushes where i cut the bristles down and the inks are applied very sparingly,there is no specific technique for this procedure its just a matter of applying until you achieve the finish you want,give it a go on a piece of scrap paper or better still an old figure.
    (y)
  14. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Brian
    I totally agree with Jim is amazing and bust, but the film
    Very good idea to fill with blood, the person looks so real, you might wanted a little lighting.
    In others it is a fantastic job

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  15. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gorgeous Work Brian,

I am painting this bust myself at the mo, and your version has given me a lot of guidance and inspiration, unfortunately the plaits were missing out of the blister pack when i got mine , so I had to bodge some out of copper electrical wire, so that was quite dissapointing, the face of the bust tho is just crying to be painted, very well sculpted and cast - as said mate lovely job on this thanks for sharing