1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

BOYS, GIVE THEM ROCKS !

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by El Tché, Jan 17, 2017.

1. El Tché Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    Taken from a picture from Don Troiani called "The Diehards". This vignette depicts confederate out of ammunitions and trowing stones to unionists. This is took place at the railroad, battle of second manassas, august 30th 1862
    Heads from Hornet, muskets from Wolf and Magic sulpt/duro

Hope you like ;)

Attached Files:

DaddyO, blaster, Chrisr and 36 others like this.
  2. Edward A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work!
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Excellent depiction of a great painting.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant vignette, congrats. (y)

Cheers Ken
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb work, you have caught the essence of the painting well. Like it a lot.
  6. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very well done! Nice work on this piece.
  7. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Have been waiting a very long time (how many years?) to see you do this one, and what a splendid job you did. Congrats Thiery, a real piece of art.

Cheers,

Gino
  8. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful . |A great interpretation of a Troiani painting .
    chippy
  9. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Thank you so much to share with us this amazing project! Chapeau bas!
    Cheers,
    Nicolae
    Oda likes this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brilliant! Is this based on an actual incident or just a bit artistic whimsy?
    Steve
  11. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    This is an absolutely true incident which has plenty of corroboration. The 2nd battle of Mannasas is not as well known as some of the other battles of the ACW but lasted 3 days with heavy casualties. Even though it ended up in a near rout of the Union, it was touch and go with forces exchanging full volleys at 80 yards sometimes. Also Don Troiani is not only an artist but historian also. If he paints it, he has evidence.
    Many thanks to El Tiche for sharing this beautiful work. I hope to visit the battlefield this spring again and will carry his vignette in my mind.

Bob
    stoffy01, Helm and billyturnip like this.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Fantastic rendition of this incident.

Cheers

Huw
  13. Jim Active Member

Excellent work!
  14. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work indeed. Most impressive depiction of Jackson's boys at 2nd Manassas
  16. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work
  17. Oda A Fixture

An exceptional piece of modelling work!

Oda.
  18. El Tché Well-Known Member

:woot: Thank you so much for your very kind comments.

Steve : as Bob wrote, this is a true incident during the battle. And by just trowing stones, the confederates have stopped the advance of the unionists on this point (protection of the railroad crossing the battlefield). Don Troiani mentions in his book that the railroad was not completely finished, so there were a lot of stones available around there)

Gino : indeed, this vignette was in my mind since a long time, and it took me a long time to sculpt this and then I was fed up with this that it took me two years to start painting it... And got only bronze in Euro with it :D

I'm now sculpting another piece showing a chapelain blessing the soldiers before the battle (based on the picture from Bronco Models, a kit about WW2), a vignette with 4 soldiers
    Oda and Helm like this.
  19. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Thierry,

Yes i remember we talked about it many Euro's ago, the last I was able to attend. so great to see what you've made of it. We all know the judging at Euro, so don't worry about it. It remains a piece of art. for the new vignette, will you keep them WWII or convert them to ACW?

Cheers,

Gino
  20. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic vignette.
    Gordon