1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Boudicca - Pegaso 75mm

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Reddo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    I got this from my wife for christmas; she has more faith in my ability to paint this than I do.

I'm not sure, but this may be an old figure for Pegaso now. There was ALOT of cleaning up of flash and mould lines to be done - big chunks of XS metal that needed to be dremeled off in awkward places like the hair and cape and the front of the bare legs.

I plan to give her a plaid cloak of the design shown - if I can. stay tuned.

Attached Files:

2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jeez Peter better break out that tin of tartan paint.
    You're a brave man taking that on but if anyone can do it...you can.
    Keep us up to date.
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice recovery work Peter. :)
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a great challenge.
    Gonna follow this one.

marc
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You are a braver man than I:cautious:... good luck with this one. Should look great when it's done.

Keep posting the progress

Colin
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Tartan is a challenge but if we dont push ourselves, we dont get better. Will be great to see your progress
    Ben
    Meehan34 likes this.
  8. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Cloak prior to shading and weathering.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack, Edorta and kingbingo like this.
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Geez that looks pretty good, any chance of closer pics
    Ben
  10. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    close up to cloak

Attached Files:

Ineluki, tissibzh, mil-mart and 6 others like this.
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Thats very fine painting Peter.Amazing!
    Brian
  12. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Actually, I got the idea how to do it from 'housecarl' (though he dosen't know it yet) - and just took it to the extreme.
  13. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  14. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Peter

Very intelligent technique!. No matter if you were guided by Carl Barton's example, you've pulled it off just great too and that's all that counts.

I look forward to see more of this.

J;)han
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Is that painted??????
    That is so realistic........(y)(y)(y)
    I need some more explanation.

marc
  16. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    The cloak is painted in the normal way with very strong contrasts from black thru greens to white.
    The 'Tartan' IS original art by me (you will not find it anywhere else) - however, it was scanned into photoshop and turned into a recurring tile.
    I then printed an A4 size of tartan on decal paper. Then the decal was cut into sections to fit the folds of the cloak and carefully applied.
    You need to use decal paper that will take solvents to melt it to the paintwork and work quickly so the colours do not run or the decal wrinkle and stick in the wrong place.
    The decal has to be made at 25-50% translucency for the pre shading to show through this is at 50%, but needed a few trials to work out.
    I havent finished with it yet as it needs a few clear coats to add texture and a matt top coat as well as weathering and final shading in some folds - but it already looks painted on those parts the viewer will see.
    I learn't this technique after making hundreds of airplanes with inadequate decals and needing to redo them myself.
    When seeing if this had already been done on the site I saw a link carl had made to some prorietory tartan decals - and got the idea from that.
    So if you can paint a few cm's of tartan on the flat, you can get it on a cloak or perhaps pleated kilt. Bewarned - it is not fun or relaxing to do like painting the tartan may have been, and comes with its own frustrations and stress (and solvent smell).
    I hope this has perhaps opened up the hobby to a new technique; like it or not, it can be made to look real; and to anyone that could have done this freehand :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: .
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Peter,

The process of creating tartan decals for figures has been discussed on Planet Figure before, however this is the first example of it that I've seen. Based on your results, I think a lot of people will be very keen to have a go at it.

There's simply no other word for the results you've managed to achieve than "stunning".:cool:

If you have the time, I think many of us would appreciate seeing a detailed SBS of the process you've used. I hope you'll bring this figure along to WASMEx this year so the Perth figure modelling community can admire your work.(y)
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    AGREE 100 %
    Would love to see it with screenshots.
    No hurry Peter, but maybe finish it at the end of februari :D:D
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Wow!!! wouldn't have thought of doing it this way, and it looks soooooo real. Love it
    Ben
  20. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Unbelievable pattern painting on the cloak!!! It looks like real sewing, simply amazing.
    R.L.