1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bolshevik - Revolution (update)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Jan 28, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Finally getting round to completing the head,after reading the coments on my last post it seemed the 5 o'clock shadow area did seem very dark,my initial intension was to then lighten the shadow but after some thought and research I found the beards were very popular during the revolution so I decided to try and replicate something of a beard onto the face,it was always my intension to try and get a rugged look into the face as after looking at many photographs on the web of Russians at this time this seemed the norm for this period,hopefully ive managed to capture some of that ruggedness.
    The headwear was completed in oils with mixes of Burnt umber+Mars black+Tittanium white all applied over a GW Eshin Grey basecoat,also I wanted a cold wintery feeling to the piece as well so I went with a light frosting using Acylic Humbrol matt white applied with a sponge sparingly.
    I applied the basecoat for the uniform colour with GW Tallarn Sand,once the head is completely finished I will complete the uniform with oils before moving on to the greatcoat.

Hope you enjoy the update and photo's,coments and criticism always welcome.

Brian

bolshevik head 001.JPG bolshevik head 002.JPG bolshevik head 004.JPG bolshevik head 005.JPG bolshevik head 007.JPG bolshevik head 009.JPG bolshevik head 010.JPG bolshevik head 011.JPG bolshevik head 012.JPG
  2. swralph A Fixture

looking really good,like the painting explanation(y)
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    WoW - brilliant paintjob!

Cheers
  4. Don Well-Known Member

Hey Smudge, hes looking really good now, I think you have the cold Russian to a "T".#
    Brilliant.

Don
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Ralph,glad you like it do far :)
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Martin for those kind coments,I'm glad you like it :)
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Don for your kind comments,I'm beginning to like Russian subjects and I intend to do a few more,good to hear from you mate, hope you're keeping well :)
  8. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent choices so far and a great brushwork. I see you already corrected the left cheeck. Now looks good ;)
    Keep up !

Regards
    Pedro
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent progress mate. Coming along beautifully.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great call with the beard Brian and a couple of good tips there also (y)

Ron
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Awesome painting Brian.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Pedro,I managed to dispel that hollow look,hopefully I'll be able to complete some more tomorow :)
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Tony :)
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ron,I don't normally change things halfway through but I needed to do something different following the constructive coments in the first post,hope to get some more done in the next couple of days :)
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Keith,I'm glad you liked it :)
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress Brian.
    Carl.(y)
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Carl,thanks for your coments :)
  18. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Indeed that's a great paintwork. I really like the flesh tones. I can't wait to see the finished result.

Xenofon
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Xenofon for those kind coments,glad you liked it so far :)
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yeah, this looks much better then the dark 5 o clock.
    That "snow" effect is brilliant.

marc