1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Boer War Brit 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Sep 7, 2010.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Over the past few weeks I've developed an interest in the Second Boer War and besides the pile of flats I have in progress I thought I would like to paint a "round" British soldier of this period.
    Easier said than done, however I found a 90mm white metal figure from http://www.traditionoflondon.com/index.asp?page=Home.asp# more well known for their range of toy soldiers.

Not a company that we see a lot of here but at only £17.85 for a 90mm fig. well why not. I didn't know exactly what to expect but was pleasantly suprised with what arrived. I'm hoping with a bit of effort I will be able to paint it up to be a nice addition to my collection.

What was in the packet;

[IMG]

The figure will represent a Private of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Mainly because the flash was reasonably easy to paint and I have a good reference illustration in an Osprey book.

The pics of the fig. primed and work so far. The jacket and trousers have only received one thin base coat.

Roger

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      210.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      209.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      98.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      99.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      124.8 KB
      Views:
    pmfs, red tom, clubcat and 1 other person like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great face.
    Waiting for more.

Marc
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rodger, what an interesting find and a bargain to boot, will follow with interest. (y)

Cheers Ken
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Marc. More soon.

Thanks ken, it might be worthwhile purchasing a couple more of Traditions offerings I think. :)

Roger.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger,

I'm getting more and more interested in Boer War subjects too , and this is a beauty.

At that price, why not? Can't beat it for value, and the etails lookmore than OK.

Nice start on the painting too.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Tony. Cheers, I just wish it was in resin as it's quite a hefty lump of metal :D

With a bit of work, ie. removing the shoulder chains, this chap would convert nicely to one of the Aussie contingent. What do you think?

At the moment I'm reading this;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boer-War-Thomas-Pakenham/dp/0349104662

and then the plan is to read some of the unit histories.

Roger.

Attached Files:

7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Oh yeah, that's the ticket mate. That would look great as a New South Wales Lancer, or a Queensland Mounted Infantry.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Funnily enough I've just this minute dug out my Osprey "The Australian Army at War" and thought NSW Mounted Rifles. Red braid, red shoulder straps, red puggaree and emu feathers. Now that would look nice!

Roger.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Should paint up nice Roger, and a bargain at that.
    Carl.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Carl, let's hope so!

Roger.
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger, thanks for posting the link to their site, it reminded how nice some of their 90mm stuff is and I just determned that one of the figures I am about to offer up for sale is one theirs (I never knew the manufacturer). Now on to your figure, the fleshtones look great and I see, that you are not having any problems transtioning from flats to rounds.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Matthew, I actually think that painting flats has helped me with painting round figures due to the thought needed for the placement of shade and light.

Just out of interest which Tradition fig. are you selling?

Roger.
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    You are probably correct in that regard and perhaps we should all start out that way. This is the figure I am selling (I'll trade too) DS 90 01 Guards Camel Regiment Gordon Relief Expedition 1884 $20.00 (US) plus shipping
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Matthew, shame it's not one of the ones I have my eyes on. :(

Roger.
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice flesh tones :)
  16. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    It's a very nice figure (and here if you change your mind ;) ), I don't want to part with it or any of the others on the list I am compiling, but I am facing my mortality.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Gordy. :)

Thanks Matthew, I'll bear it in mind. :)

Roger.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      144.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautifully done so far!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Dan. I'll do some work on the puttees today and then onto the Slade-Wallace equipment.

Roger.