1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Boar Warrior

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DEL, Jun 18, 2014.

1. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Coincidentally Brian and I have been working on the same bust.
    I've done as much as I want to do on it at the moment, there's loads to be done on the Boar skin and the bling. It'll go into the WIP drawer for a few months as I work up 2 more busts. I'll then complete them all at the same time. As they will be displayed together I want a consistency in style.
    Face and hair are complete and honestly look a lot better than my awful photos show.
    As ever all comments and suggestions welcome.
    Cheers
    Derek.
    IMGP1173.JPG
    IMGP1173.JPG IMGP1174.JPG IMGP1178.JPG IMGP1186.JPG IMGP1183.JPG

Attached Files:

Kisifer, Ferris, Gra30 and 17 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Nice work so far.
    He must be hungry if he is going in the draw for a few moths:p
    DEL likes this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland

:facepalm::D
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What!......you mean I have to wait months to see this finished :rolleyes:.........bloody superb so far mate.....very envious :(:LOL:

Cheers

Ron
    DEL likes this.
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Stunning work, Del. I love the face and hair, they look perfect.
    Looking forward to seeing him completed, even if you are making us wait a few months ;)
    DEL likes this.
  6. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Del any tips on the hair? I'm having issues with doing blond on a figure at the moment...
    Karlosfandango and DEL like this.
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I like this Derek.Your coming on strong.Might have to relinquish my title.
    Superdel sounds good
    Brian
    DEL likes this.
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Cheers Ron. This is probably my favourite bust and is the 3rd time I've painted one.
    Cheers
    Derek
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well.....they do say "practice makes perfect" Del :ROFLMAO:

A lens hood would help from the look of the pictures mate.

Cheers

Ron
    DEL likes this.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks very much Nick. I'm really pleased with the face and hair. I wish I had a clue about taking photos, there's a lot more flow and contrast in the face than shown.
    Cheers
    Derek
    NickM likes this.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Jimmy what I did was pretty simple really. I carried the base flesh tone through from the face onto the hair. As I added shading and highlighting to the face I did the same to the hair, where I mixed Purple Lake and Madder Brown with the base flesh for shading I did the same for the hair using a tiny amount of Raw Umber. Highlighting was TitWhite and Naples Yellow.
    What seemed to work was treating the hair as it swept back on the head as 'slabs' of tone rather than trying to pick out every hair. Much more detail was given to the hairline, blending the hair and the forehead together so you dont really see where one stops and the other starts.
    Hope thats of some help, stay light it's much much easier to darken fair hair than lighten it from a too dark start.
    Cheers
    Derek
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ..... quick oxygen.........
    Thanks Brian much appreciated.
    Derek
  13. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    I like a lot the general tone you used, it´s very real.
    I don´t know what kind of technique you used to take the photos, but it looks like an old, black and white pic, coloured.( Camera lens dirt?)

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    DEL likes this.
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Much appreciated Eduardo ........ as for photography, technique is rummage about until I find a camera with a charged battery, then A. point camera roughly in the general area of the model. B. press every button until one goes click ...... honestly that's about it, I know I should try harder :(
    Cheers
    Derek
    Edorta and Wings5797 like this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Super painting Derek.

The face and hair are as good as I have ever seen Mate. The fair hair and pale complexion work really well.
    Great work but I think that, inspite of your comments on my photographic skill....lack of, we are both in the same league .:p
    All the very best Derek,
    Keith
    DEL likes this.
  16. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done Sir!
    DEL likes this.
  17. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking great Del, your tattoo is definitely bigger than Brian's .Think I will have to get this bust ,feeling left out.

Cheers Davie
    DEL likes this.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful painting Del,i thought you was having a painting contest between you and Brian,again you've done a great job on this and I also like your metals as well.i look forward to seeing this finished mate

Brian (y)
    DEL likes this.
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great paintwork Del.

Marc
    DEL likes this.
  20. Mark S Guest

Nicely done Derek, love the skin tones and the overall choice of colour including the subtlety of the body art.
    Great piece.
    DEL likes this.