1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Black Ceaser

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by pgarri27, Nov 18, 2007.

1. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is my latest undertaking. This is the Verlinden bust of the pirate "Black Ceaser" sculpted by Derek Holmes. It is painted in acrylics. This fellow has an expression that was fun to paint.
    Comments and suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Boy Pete you did a great job on Caesar - i remember you buying him!

Really impressed buddy.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Pete. This is one of my favorite busts. Is the flesh oil or acrylic?
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pete, a classic from Verlinden, one of their best. You did him justice for sure!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Acrylics, the fleshtones too??
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    excellent job !
    it's true about the expression. Very original
  7. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Wonderful paintjob!! Never painted a black skin so I was wondering which colors did you use for the fleshtone?
  8. moore Active Member

United-States
    Pete brought this to our meeting on Saturday and it is much better
    to see it in person. The flesh tone was a bit darker than in this picture..
    and it just all comes together.
    The colors were really nice.

Dee
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work.
    I like all of it. And i really like the leather belt.

marc
  10. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you all for your compliments.
    Guy-the piece is painted completely in acrylics.
    Captnenglish- Yes the face is acrylics too.
    Marcel-I painted this with hobby acrylics like Dreamcoat and FolkArt. When I got this figure, I asked about what colors to use on this forum. Blindpew sent me this link, http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/go/articlephp/aid/310
    and I matched colors to those given for the African male. Burnt Sienna, burnt umber, Candy Bar Brown, Brown Iron Oxide, Autum Brown, Medium flesh. Matt Springer taught me about using complimentry colors to "grey" down the color out of the bottle, and I did a good bit of that on this bust. So I added a touch of blues to the browns.

Vergilius-The expression is what really drew me to this figure in the first place. We had a discussion at our meeting about expressions, our local master sculptor was curious what painters thought about various expressions. I think expressions make the figure, but exaggerated expressions like this guy wouldn't work on most figures. I guess what I'm saying is the expression should give the figure an attitude that matches. Look at the beautiful figure just produced by Maurizio Bruno, the Captain of Hussars just recently posted on v-bench. That guy has attitude! that matches his pose. (He wouldn't have looked okay with a big grin on his face, right?)

This was my first dark skin figure. I looked at several live samples, (my co-workers,) and realized there are lots of colors in their skin. I found it to be a lot of fun to paint this guy.

Thanks Dee- I need to work on picture taking. I've got a nice camera, but I still have to figure out how to make the colors true. I think its all in the lighting.

Marc- thanks for the compliment on the belt. Hey, come on over to the USA, come to the Atlanta show this February, I'll take you to the local Blues bars.