1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bill Speakman VC Korea

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Uruk-Hai, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hello Figureteers!

If Im not mistaken there was a TV-serie about VC winners which featured a dramatization of his award winning actions in Korea. Ive tried to search the net without success. Found one of the episodes on Youtube, but not the right one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Speakman

Can any Figureteers out there, help me. Just throw me a bone………..

Cheers

Janne Nilsson
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It was called VC Heroes, presented by Ashcroft.
    Looked on Youtube, there's only the WW1 episodes.(y)
  3. Waterman Active Member

There is a Blast from the Pass. I remember doing a Queens Birthday Parade at Khormaksa Aden, and Bill Speakman VC was Sgt of the Kings own Scottish Borderers Guard. I was serving with 45 Cdo Royal Marines at the time, must have been about 1963. He was never liked by a lot of the lads in the Scottish Regts, perhaps because he was an Englishman and had come from The Cheshire Regt. He did at one time become an In Pensioner at the Royal Chelsea Hospital but didn't remain there long , as he did not like the discipline. A strange complicated man, that fell foul a few times,but he did win a VC, so you have to take your hat off to him.
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hello Figureteers!

An update. I actually bought the DVD and while it was a good documentary it didnt shed much light on the questions I had.
    As I would like to depict Speakman fighting off the chinese from foxhole/trench(?) I am very encertain about the uniform he wore. The pictures I found surfing on the internet shows troopers wearing what looks like, to me at least, WWII battle dress with leather jerkins and the netting scarf?
    I was thinking of converting one of these?
    http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Bronco-25pdr-crew.jpg

Also I wonder what kind of headgear that would be suitable, Turtle helmet or Tam o Shanter? And what kind of weapon he would be carrying?

All help, input and suggestions with this is apreciated as its not my period but I have a wager of entering into a theme class early next year and I thought Speakmans actions would be nice to portray as the theme is Indochine, Korea and Vietnam.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  5. Waterman Active Member

I think that you are about right with WW2 Battledress, adapted with additions like scarves gloves, sheepskin jerkins etc. I joined the Royal Marines in 1958, and not much else was given to us to make us comfortable in the field. Everything was to make do and improvise in extreme conditions, although a lot of over zealous Officers and NCOs would tell you to get rid and wear the regulation issued kit. The Lee Enfield .303 Bolt action Rifle was standard issue for infantrymen, with the 39 pattern of fighting order. This was not replaced untill the 58 pattern started to be issued although that took time before it filtered through to everyone. The Army tended to wear the steel helmet for Riot Control and Internal Security Duties, but on operations the Royal Marines thought that the Green Beret was sufficient protection. The Scottish Regts being very proud select units,tended to wear headware appropriate to their unit, ie Tam o Shanter,Glengarry etc. I think I have seen a photo of Bill wearing the former in Korea, but I could be wrong.
  6. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I know the Argylls went to Korea from Hong Kong and were wearing tropical uniforms. When winter set in they were issued american cold weather clothing. The famous pic of Bill looks like he's wearing an American jacket, so maybe the KOSB were the same? A lot of photos show british troops wearing American cold weather hats or headovers like WW2 commando hats. Sorry I'm a wee bit late I hope this is some use.
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thank you, I will look a bit further into that.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. Gary Ashley New Member

A relative of mine was a staff sergeant instructor when Bill was still in the army ,he recalls Bill being posted to his establishment then moved on ASAP lots of issues .
    As to what bill was wearing when he won his VC I would recommend the Osprey book which covers the period with some superb illustrations .