1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Beginner in sculpting...

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Jacob, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Jacob New Member

Poland
    Hello all :D!

I'm Jacob from Poland I'm 15 and I'm beginner scale modeller (military vehicles ) and I've just started sculpting. I have a lot of problems with sculpting and I don't know what I should sculpt first.
    I training with make faces , but I don't like the results ...
    My favourite scale i 1/72nd (about 25 mm figure) .

Cheers!
  2. giro Member

Spain
    First you can try to transform another figures. Change arms possition, change clothes,...
  3. Jacob New Member

Poland

Hmm ok , I tried some conversion on Zvezda's figure :
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome, Jacob! I sympathize, because I'm teaching myself to sculpt, too.

There are good tutorials here on the Planet, as well as some YouTube videos. I can't offer any specific advice other than to practice, practice, practice! Your selected scale may have some tricky things that are specific to that small size, but I'm teaching myself in 54mm, which also requires some delicacy. But as the old joke goes, when one man walked up to another on a New York City street and asked, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?", the other replied, "Practice, practice, practice!" Advice that never goes out of style!

Prost!
    Brad
    offo likes this.
  5. Jacob New Member

Poland
    Ok , thanks Brad ! I've just started looking for tutorials but I don't see anything.
    theBaron likes this.
  6. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This should help you with sculpting heads SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP by planet figures Gary Dombrowski.

General sculpting tutorials? Over a thousand tutorial videos by David Lemon

-Rich
    theBaron likes this.
  7. Jacob New Member

Poland
    Thanks ! Ok , I try to sculpt the head in bigger scale for training and then I will sculpt in 1/72nd scale.

Cheers from Wroclaw!
  8. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Start with bust scales, 1/9 , or even 1/6 for couple of faces, learn anatomy and proportions, get fingers used to clay or whatever you going to use.

Then scale down.

And take a moment to read this:

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”

Ira Glass

[IMG]
  9. Jacob New Member

Poland
    Thanks Gaudin! I think that I will with 54 mm figure or 1/72 nd .
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Ira, good inspiration!

I decided to try my hand because there are subjects I'd like to have in my collection but which no maker has ever produced in 54mm rounds. That's probably why everyone who takes up sculpting does, though, to create.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. Jacob New Member

Poland
    That's right Brad! I will sculpt something at the weekend , because school takes all of my free time.
    napoleonpeart likes this.