1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Begginer

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Dekiman, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Hi everyone
    Today I finished my first figure ever.
    Its 95th rifle soldier from Hecker & Goros.
    Im a great fan of Bernard Cornwel novel and TV serie Sharpe so I decided that my first figure would be from 95th. I would like to hear from you is there anything that you like and I would like to hear some advice from members of planet figure. View attachment 150913
    20140223_071328.jpg
    sd0324, sippog, Wings5797 and 4 others like this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well, for a first go, an excellent start mate.... hang in there and enjoy a load more. Welcome to the madhouse.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    What paint did you used.
    Acrylic or oil???

Marc
  4. Dekiman Well-Known Member

i used a Games Workshop Citadel colors.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    For a first effort very well done. Congrats

Colin
  6. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
  7. swralph A Fixture

Neatly painted for a first figure,the finish is too glossy maybe try using a matt varnish(y)
    theBaron likes this.
  8. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good start. You got the colors right and "stayed in the lines", not slopping color outside where it was supposed to go. Now begins the process of refining what you have accomplished. A very good tool to do that is to study other painted figures that you like and compare them to what you have done. It will come together!
    sd0324 and theBaron like this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well especially a first off, as the others said it's a bit glossy which citadel colours tend to do if not really well mixed, flesh is a bit "pink" and it needs a bit of weathering to make it more a campaign soldier than a parade ground one. That's all the "bad" points out of the way and all of those you can aim to improve on the next figure, the good points are as Steve has said you've kept colour where it needed to be and the finer details like buttons, piping etc are well defined and separate, shading looks none too shabby either so my next advice would be look through the V Bench section especially here http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/vbench-works-in-progress.35/ and see how other folks approach a figure, my painting has improved an incredible amount thanks to the many great painters and sculpters here on P.F. who have been kind enough to give me their time and advice each time I've asked. If you see a particular figure or style that catches your eye don't hesitate to ask questions of whoever posted it I'm sure they will be only too delighted to answer you and help out.
    Cheers
    Steve
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good for a first figure. I would just reiterate what the others have said; mix your paints well and they'll probably dry a little more matt, some paints just don't though but that's what matt varnish or matt medium is for. And copy others, I do...if you see something you like then try to recreate the effect, most people on here don't mind discussing their techniques if you ask politely.

I've not been painting long either but I've picked up loads of helpful hints and tips from these forums. One of the best things I've learnt is to thin your paint well, thin it till you think it's thin enough..then thin it some more because it probably isn't. It's far easier to add more paint than to remove it, I've learnt the hard way. But above all, have fun ;)

Welcome to the nuthouse,
    Billy (y)

P.s. I like to paint fantasy/non historic figures because nobody can tell you they're wrong.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Forgot to mention:

Nice work on the face, especially the eyes considering this is 1:32/54mm. A lot of painters don't even bother with eyes at this scale so nice work for your first attempt.

Thanks again for sharing, it can be daunting posting your first project (y)

Billy
    pmfs likes this.
  12. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Thank you for your good and kind words.
    They gave me a great morale boost.
    Im about to finishmy second figure and when is done Il post it here.
    Thank you again.
  13. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate for a first figure fantastic , I agree with the other comments mix mix mix your paints think about we're the figure is regard campaign read the reference books ,but ultimately enjoy the process enjoy the hobby , but now the downside ....................You will spend lots of money , you will be come secretive , you will have a bond with the postman wnks, knowing nods whispers, " Your parcel it's behind the shed ".
    But he'll you may well have been doing military vehicles before stepping into figures so your secretive skills will be well honed as them there vehicles come in big boxes, lol.
    Well come to the made house lol
    Cheers Chris
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Welcome Dejon,
    Great start with this fine figure.
    You will like spending time here.
    Looking forward to your next piece.
    Keith
  15. Ventress Well-Known Member

England

I find mixing Tamiya X21 matting agent works a treat with GW paints.
  16. Juan Pablo Active Member

The x21 from tamiya is magical. Like other colleagues wrote: Good start.
    Saludos
  17. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  18. milten2004 Active Member

United-States
    Extra, treba ti vise stvari na podlozi, zemlja pesak, cvetic, kamen, voda.... bilo sta. Ovako je figura suvise gola ...
  19. milten2004 Active Member

United-States
    Extra, treba ti vise stvari na podlozi, zemlja pesak, cvetic, kamen, voda.... bilo sta. Ovako je figura suvise gola ...
  20. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    If this is your first figure then WOW, great stuff, i remember my first, many pullovers ago, instead of a red tunic and white straps he had pink straps :(. Just work at it and learn from others, keep em coming