1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Begginer II

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Dekiman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dekiman Well-Known Member

This is second figure. Its 54mm Roman Auxiliary from Andrea miniatures.
    Pictrures takenby a phone so are not at their best.
    Comments please and advices for improvments are most welcome.
    20140301_120414.jpg 20140301_120436.jpg 20140301_120516.jpg
    Eludia likes this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Nicely painted but you need to straighten that spear
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice paintjob on your second figure Dekiman, I like the freehand on the shield.

He looks a little boss-eyed to me, the left eye looks a bit weaker than the right (I'm presuming you're left-handed). I often have the same problem but other way round (right-handed), the nose just gets in the way. A couple of tips I picked up are:

1. Always paint your weak side first, it's easier to line the other one up then.
    2. If you paint your figure looking off to one side it is a lot easier to line the eyes up.

Hope this helps mate.

Billy :)
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    [quote="Eludia, post: 639401, member: 9042" A couple of tips I picked up are:

1. Always paint your weak side first, it's easier to line the other one up then.
    2. If you paint your figure looking off to one side it is a lot easier to line the eyes up.

Hope this helps mate.

Billy :)[/quote]

Good tips, plus.....

3. Turn the figure upside down to paint the weaker side.

Pretty good for a 2nd fig. Keep at it, each will be better than the last..... and keep enjoying it. (y)

Roger.
    Eludia likes this.
  5. milten2004 Active Member

United-States
    Bravo. Treba ti jos zemlje oko figure. Popuni prostor. Trava, poneki cvet, kamen ....
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Not to bad for your second, you did well on the reds, not an easy colour to shade and hilight.
    try this link for painting eyes, it helped for me

cheers zane
    MCPWilk and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just to focus on an area that no-one else has touched on. Have a look on the El Greco website tutorial section. Steven Malia has a great method for painting White Metal Armour, Mail etc. You might have to buy yourself a couple of tubes of oil paint but the results are worth it. Apart from that it is paint...paint....paint(y)

Keith
  8. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    for the second figure is very well!
  9. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A good attempt for your second figure. With shaft weapons such as spears you might like to use thin brass rod rather than white metal. You may also find a slightly larger scale (75/90mm) a little easier for you next figure. The only rule is that there are no rules, this is a hobby. You will get better with practice and all that matters is that your work brings you pleasure.

Happy modelling,

Mike