1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bearskin Paint Formula?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by SamS, Aug 8, 2017.

1. SamS New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone know or can guide me to an existing thread of an Acrylics or Oils painting formula for black Bearskin Hat of an officer of the Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard.
    Thx
    Sam
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sam

For me using acrylics I woukd base in dark gray , washes of midnight/dark Prussian blues and black , and drybrushing with a lighter base for highs .

I also use water Soluable oils so include Paynes Gray as well

Nap
    mick3272 and swralph like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My approach would be to undercoat in the same blue as the coat, overpaint in black, then highlight along upper edges woth earth and black, washing blue black glazes over the lower edges. This technique makes black 'blacker' and is really easy.

Paul
    mick3272, napoleonpeart and swralph like this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Mixing black with a deep violet is also a good way to make black blacker. (y)
  5. SamS New Member

Thanks guys, great suggestions, sounds like blue-black combo with some earthy tones towards the top is the way to go. thanks again!
    peedee likes this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Photos.....matey !

or it didn't happen. :D :D

Good luck.

Paul
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Be careful if you use blue with black that any hint of yellow in the earth tones will result in a green tinge
    napoleonpeart and Helm like this.
  8. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    A deep blue and burnt umber works well, with just a touch of Naples yellow for lightest highlights. A mid-tone flesh also works for highlights.
    napoleonpeart and SamS like this.
  9. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    54mm to 75mm
    first layer black Humbrol
    then drybrushing with a mix of black and white Humbrol, the drybrushin lighter an ligher presure to the last one
    then applying when all is dry, a layer of Ivory Black in oil, wash away with sponge . hen this is dry ( longer time than Humbrol ) , dry brush with White ( oil ), almost nothing left on the brush, light presure on the most proeminent parts .

here what they looks like with different lights
    http://www.istockphoto.com/be/photo...lar&mediatype=photography&phrase=bearskin hat
    napoleonpeart likes this.