1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Battle of Hanu- help on uniform details

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by camo88, Dec 31, 2014.

1. camo88 Member

Hi planeteers
    I attach two files which are extract from the painting by Horace Vernet on the Battle of Hanu. I am interested in the calvary figure in white jacket and black helmet and attempting to attack the French artillery general Antoine Drouot. I would like to know which calvary unit he belongs and any reference source of his uniform details. I am planning to build a vignette based on the painting in 54 mm or 75 mm. Also, can anyone suggest which manufacturer produces French artillery piece similar to the painting and in 54mm or 75 mm scale in metal, resin or even plastic. I think Historex might be a choice for 54mm in plastics.
    Many thanks and happy 2015 to all.
    Camo 88

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    It looks like the uniform of Bavarian dragoons, however according to the Bavarian order of battle for Hanau here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanau_order_of_battle#Bavarian_Corps there were no Bavarian dragoons present. Perhaps Vernet got his facts wrong or used artistic license, maybe there was some there, I don't know. If you are basing a project on the painting I can't see any reason not to include them.

Roger.

933635aac589dc92c798d739a4872dfc.jpg Bavarian.jpg
  3. camo88 Member

Hi Roger
    Many thanks.
    Best
    Camo88
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Your're very welcome. Hope it helps.
  5. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    That is because there were NO dragoons in the Bavarian Army in 1813! They were converted to Chevau-legers in 1811. I have a framed print of this painting above my desk at home (along with Vernet's 'Battle of Montmirail'. The originals are MASSIVE and can be seen in the National Gallery in London (along with 'Jemappes' and 'Valmy'). They are a wonder to behold in their grandeur, scale and detail. I agree with Roger, either Vernet got it wrong or purposely used the dragoons because of their white tunics. Either way, it is a superb painting.
    billyturnip likes this.
  6. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Metal Models produce a 54mm Artillery Cannon, you might be able to pic up an old Hinchcliffe version on Ebay they do appear occasionally.

Claude
  7. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Hi Roger-what is the source for the larger plate?

Claude
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Claude, sorry I can't help at the moment. That plate is on my laptop at home, I didn't bring it to sea with me this time in anticipation of the bad weather. I'll see if I can find it with Google or else I can let you know when I get back home at the end of the month.

Roger.
  9. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

No Hurry Roger, I love the idea of the horse and rider would make a great conversion....not sure what from yet LOL

Claude
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  11. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Thanks Roger-a few more for the collection....Claude
    billyturnip likes this.
  12. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    One further note on Napoleonic Bavarian uniforms. If you search for images or if you are lucky enough to own (as I am) the works of Johann Adam Klein, a period artist, you can see how they 'really' looked like. Klein sketched and did watercolors contemporaneously of the Austrian, Russian and Bavarian armies. There is a Russian webpage that has all of them on line and they can be bought from the German dealer: Ulf-Joahim Friese (www.ltr-verlag.com). They were re-printed in the '80s but were discounted last year. They really give you a feel for the period.
    billyturnip likes this.