1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Barak - The Last Khan of the Ak Orda

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by SERHAN OFLAS, May 21, 2016.

1. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello.
    This will be my first trial of big sized flat figure, based on Mikhael V. Gorelik's drawing from the book Great Atlas of the history and culture of Kazakhstan. I could not call this work under a specific sized category name because I dont know if such category is exists in flat world.
    Barak Khan (years of ruling 1423-1428) was Khan of Ak Orda, son of Kuyyrshak Khan and grandson of Orys Khan. That time Barak Khan was one of the influential khans. He participated in construction of Sygnak city. In 1423, Barak Khan started to carry on the policy against Maverannarkh. In 1425 he required to return ancient lands of Ak Orda along Syrdariya River. At the beginning of 1427 troops of Ulugbek and Barak Khans started an exterminatory war. Only after the interference of Girat's troops headed by Shakhrukh Barak Khan had to come back to Desht-i-Kipchak. Sygnak city again became the center of Orys Khan's offspring.
    Barak, the grandson of Urus Khan was the last khan of the Ak Orda in the period when it was weakened and defeated by Tamerlane. A large part of the Ak Horde was entered in Khanate of Abulkhair , the rest of Ak-Orda was a part of the Nogai Horde.
    I made a standart start. Prepared Super Sculpey - Fimo clay mix. Rolled it out up to some 2 mm. thickness and pinned and tooled outline excess parts after pinning..

Taking shape very slowly...

Attached Files:

anstontyke, Babelfish, GARRY and 4 others like this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Serhan, do yourself a favour and pick something easier! But if it was easy, you wouldn't do it.

Seriously, this project looks tough - but I can see you're enjoying it already. I am looking forward to see how it goes.
    Good luck, stay with it, the result will be worth it. (y)
  3. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Blind Pew,

I cant learn nothing from easier I belive and yes its tough, will take long time..

Thanks for your kind support,

Serhan-
    anstontyke and Babelfish like this.
  4. Oda A Fixture

The choice of subject is great.It looks very difficult but from what I've seen so far you are up to the task.I will follow this one with great interest.

Oda.
    anstontyke and SERHAN OFLAS like this.
  5. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Thank you so much Oda,

Done something..

Serhan-

Attached Files:

6. Oda A Fixture

This is turning out marvelously.With every work you get even better.I think that it's going to be better even than the beautiful landsknecht,your last project.A little help please: Ak orda (if I remember my very,very poor Turkish) means white horde.Is this the same military and socio-political,historical entity refered to in Mongolian as shira ordu(golden horde) or a different one.Central Asian history is one of my favourite subjects so I would like to look it up.Keep up the awesome work,Serhan.

Oda.
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is already looking excellent. One thing, it might be the photograph, but the horse's neck looks a tiny bit behind his right arm, when it should appear in front of it. As I say, it might just be the picture.

Otherwise, this is starting to look really really good. You calm attention to detail s superb. Your subtlety is excellent. I do like this one and it's only half done!
  8. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Oda and Blind Pew.

Oda, thank you for your kind words.

I was not involved history of Golden Horde. Here I want to say something about similarity in words Horde and Ordu. Ordu means Army in Turkish language, its reading( pronouncing) as its written. Maybe word horde in western languages coming from this origin. Anways, when I started to read about Golden Horde ( Golden Army ) I saw much more huge amount of history in front of me.. I understand that, trying to read it within 2-3 days will not be fair. I do not know what is your way to understand it, but I can not understand whole picture by reading from one source and reading like story. I must understand time periode, geography, organization, daily life, politics with neighbours and war things alltogether...

Now there is really big time periode, very huge geography, fractions, events, persons, kings, even dynasties in front of me. to be understood well :D

Lot of myths and sayings also put big unknown mystery on the subject also. For example some sources deny seperation of White Army and Sky(blue) Army and says this only wings of whole Golden Army.. Also person names are metion in different usages in the sources...

I belive I can not know enough about this bad boys before one year..

Here wikipedia says about him :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraq_(Golden_Horde)

Blind Pew,

I will inspect about the arm and the horse neck. Thank you for your comments. I am changing many details everyday which I dont like or just in aware of..

Serhan-
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Serhan,

As always it's great to see how you do these ..what a complicated subject you gave chosen. The work looks very good indeed

Just as a matter of interest have you painted normal flats ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  10. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Napoleonpeart,

Thank you for kind words.

I did not painted any flat figure before my own sculpts.

About one and a half year ago, I started to practice Vallejo Acrylics and still trying to learn. I am not a professional painter or sculptor just an enthusiast..

Serhan-
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

I agree with you Serhan,history needs close study and many hours.The word ordu as well as the latinized horde-I think-
    both are derived from the Greek word "ΟΡΔΗ" one of its meanings being:large military gathering,but I could be wrong.
    (by the way if ordu means army in turkish then what is the meaning of the word asker?).You have opened a fascinating chapter for me.I did't know there had been a break up of the golden horde.I would be very obliged if you could point out some books on the matter(but in english please,unfortunately my turkish is nothing more than a few words).As far as modelling is concerned,central asian history is a much beloved subject for me but since I don't want to take up any more space,feel free to PM me any time so we can discuss history and modelling for this geographical area on different periods of time.I wait with anticipation to see your late work finished.

Oda.
  12. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Oda,

There is different usages for the word " Asker " in our language.

First meaning is ; soldier, any man, woman to enlist official army without a rank, is an "asker " ,

Also any upper rank can call others as " Asker ! "

According to civilian, who has dressed on a uniform is also called " Asker ".

Military duty for the civilian is also called like " going to Asker "

I was dont know about greek origin of the word ORDU, but there could be only way if it came to Turkish language from Greek language, could have been by Alexander the Great's conquest in the east..

But If you look the land held by the Golden Horde, it consist all Turkic people( tribes, clans, countries, yurts etc) of Asia from the beginning of the Turkic history of Asia. I cant say genetically all was Turk but majority of the land held by Turks.

May be thats why they called Horde ( Ordu , Army ), it was not the matter of the nation but the gold :D

Thanks for the conversation (y)

Serhan-
    anstontyke, Oda and billyturnip like this.
  13. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    About the books,

Becasue of this plate, I fell into search about Mikhael V. Gorelik to make contact with him and ask his permission, but yesterday I found an article about himself, indicating that he was passed away last year. As I understand, he was an academic person, illustrator and historian and for sure he signed many books in his life..

I was mentioned one of his book name, Warriors of the Euroasia , from the 8th. Century BC, 17th. Century AD is one of his.

Unfortunatelly I dont have one of his own book but I will be on the hunt.

I belive Russian sources very much colorfull about the subject, as they live with them many centuries..

Serhan-
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I have that book Serhan, it is well worth tracking down. I think I got my copy from Amazon, I will check for you.
  15. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Thank you Roger (y),

I just found a way to read it online.

Serhan-
    anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England

That's good.
    I have just checked my order history with abebooks and I got my copy from Caliver Books for £16.50.... 4 years ago!!!!!
    anstontyke, Oda and SERHAN OFLAS like this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Thank you both.Very interesting conversation.I'll probably end up ordering the book.I don't really enjoy reading from a screen,a bit traditional this old fellow you see.

Oda.
  18. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hi.

Only small things such as belts & ropes, riding things details, horse armor details left to do ..

With the next update I am planning to finish sculpting stage..

Photos with the direct sunlight.

Serhan-

Attached Files:

19. Oda A Fixture

Serhan,this is incredible.It will look great when completed.

Oda.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Agreed 100% (y)