1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Balin Steam Punk Nazi Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, May 11, 2010.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Got this bust from MDC figures. I wanted to try a few things out with this guy. He's a fantasy figure, so artistic merit is enabled. I wanted to try out the new Andrea red paint set, some citadel metallics, some leather effects, and corrosion effects. This bust enabled me to try them all.

The basic bust with armour scrapes added:
    [IMG]

I glued some some metal domes for rivets added to shoulder armour for that extra steampunk effect.
    [IMG]

Red scarf and leather which was base black/violet mix then washed with watered Vallejo sepia ink the black ink for shadows. highlighted with dry brushed orange brown and german camo biege (Sparingly).
    [IMG]

Black armour undercoat. wasn't sure where I was going with this so I let it roll.
    [IMG]

Games workshop chainmail on edges and coated with Klear varnish.
    [IMG]

Thought I'd go for corrosion by applying black base with klear varnish then applied hairspray (with a brush) then sprinkled some of the wifes ground rocksalt and some maskol. This is then usually airbrushed but if you apply with brush and wet mix the salt breaks down leaving a corrosive type surface. (As I found out by mistake on a Tiger1 from my early Armour days) I also added a black and white stripe to the red scarf as is seen in many German flags to break the red up a bit.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Helmet was done and rest of armour which was painted Field grey. Helmet was a panzer grey.
    [IMG]

Salt was picked off and various rust washes applied.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I tried to simulate a broken lens but don't know if I pulled it off. Didn't know any technique to try but whites and greys. The right lens has some mould lines so I just drybrushed white over it. Leather tunic was brown sand then a brown chocolate wash then diluted sepia ink washes. Highlighted with orange brown. Some pencil graphite was rubbed over the edges to simulate more metals. I've also applied Some transfers including a red number 4 on his left pad, 2 German crosses and an eagle on his right shoulder pad. And also no German is complete without an obligatory Iron Cross which was from lionroar while lead tape and wire made the ribbon and attatchment.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hopefully I will finish him tomorrow and I'll post the finished article with dark washes, drybrushing, tubing painted, flesh painted and tidying up.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you had some fun with this one. Some great effects going on.
    Carl.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Grant, excellent effects , very eyecatching and a great finish.(y)

Cheers Ken
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Really nice work!! Thats what I love about fantasy figures, you can do whatever you want to them!
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic stuff Grant with all the special effects,look forward to the final result.

Cheers David
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some great effects there mate and i think the broken lense works very well on the gogles, the helmet looks like it has just been pulled out of the ground after many years,i also like the added stripes to the scarf.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished result of this one.

Steve(y)
  7. robinh002 New Member

United-States
    balin

thiis looks GRRREEEAAAATTT!!!! , YOU REALLY HAD FUN WUTH THIS ONE !
    does your wife know about the rock salt ? really nice effects :cool:
  8. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Gellso
    Great paint job on this bust. The rust effect is magnificent.
    Pete