1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bad casting from Bonaparte

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by yellowcat, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada

Well said.

buy-now9a.jpg
    napoleonpeart, Helm and valiant like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    My thoughts exactly an incredibly crass statement I felt
    Steve
    napoleonpeart and DEL like this.
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    "laissez faire" attitude.?....Not sure what that means but Felix's avatar makes me agree with that.......:)

Wayne
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all I have been following this with interest and have to say I'm shocked at the company response to the issue. I know from our own experience that sometimes things can go wrong but you do try and make sure that you check them before you send them out. yes sometimes things do get through and if that happens you replace the part or kit ASAP it's all part of the customer service.

The bad casting could be that the mold is coming to the end of it's life and would want re molding. depending on the mold you can get anything from 25 to 35 from a mold before it starts to go. at that point we cut up the old mold and start afresh with a new one. that should be part of the quality control. mistakes happen but it's down to the company to make sure it's rectified with the minimum of upset meant.

I was shocked by the response of put it in the bin that was not a very positive response and would have angered me. I think it's been an example of how important it is for both companies and customer to keep good communications and sort things out in a swift satisfactory manner when things like this come up. You have to take pride in your company and do your very best to keep your customers happy. at the end of the day it's there custom that helps us bring new masters to the market and keeps us going.

Lets hope that in the cold light of day they see what their response to this as caused, and maybe in future they will think about the kind of response they give. at the end of the day we all make mistakes and we should just deal with it when we are wrong it makes for good customer service which at the end of the day makes good business acumen.

Felix Happy you got a full refund and I do hope you can hopefully put right what is wrong with the kit and save it from the bin.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wayneb - maybe an explanation...

the policy of leaving things to take their own course, without interfering.

"a laissez-faire attitude to life"

Cheers(y)
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada

I am totally agree with Ian's comment. Most of the bad parts are from mould wear and undercut. I am not scamming for another kit. There are pictures to proof to Bonaparte. At the very end I got insulted by the company. That exhibit the worst practice of customer service and the mentality of the company.
    By the way, I did not received a full refund. Bonaparte miscalculate the return shipping and the shipping cost of the kit.

Felix
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Christ Almighty :X3: Do they have no shame ?
    Steve
    MCPWilk, napoleonpeart and valiant like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Apoarently not Steve

I still say Bonapartes should have posted on this thread from the start and WELL DONE to FELIX for the care in taking all the unpacking etc pictures ...as they say a picture speaks a thousand words .

Nap
    Martin64, ellie and Helm like this.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Here's a question-how many of you will now not buy from Bonaparte's, based on this? Or, would it just make you think twice or three times, before giving them your money?

Prost!
    Brad
  10. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I will never buy from Bonaparet again. I am wondering why Ray Lamb of Poste Militaire handover his line to them to sell and recently added the Rainy Mountain Charlie and Charlie's Woman bust.

Another question is: How many of you have bought the same kit already and how's your casting?

Felix
    Red Five likes this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    I may buy from them again but it's unlikely
    Steve
  12. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not after seeing the standard of the "display" castings last weekend.......
    yellowcat likes this.
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Like valiant I also looked at the stand last weekend, this thread was at the back of my mind, I spent my hard earned cash elsewhere.
    valiant likes this.
  14. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Felix
    I think they bought out Post Militare, Ray would not just hand it over, their would have been a price to pay for it. and the two new bust must have been bought from Lamb & Flag as they were the ones that had the masters I think.

Lam

www.elliesminiatures.com
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    All this on going total thrashing of Bonapartes makes me wonder if they are even aware of this discussion on PF . I would think that someone within would have the hair on their ass to stand up and offer a defense. I try to give the benefit of the doubt as I had a business for 25yrs and I know mistakes are made, but I would be devastated to learn my work was being bashed like this........

Wayne
    Viking Bob, valiant and housecarl like this.
  16. polyphemus Well-Known Member

To be fair to them I have very recently bought two of the ex Poste Militaire figures from them with excellent castings. I also have several of their busts sculpted by Carl Reid again no problems. I think that the problems may occur with the recent larger scale busts which are very ambitious with regard to subject animation etc.

Geoff
    CGS military figures likes this.
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Perhaps I will give them a go, there are a few I like, second chance.
    CGS military figures likes this.
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I'd say that the issue is not about what they get right but rather what they do when things go wrong.
  19. I hope this is not out of turn and in no way can I justify any action that makes a customer not be happy, I am truly sorry to hear this and I would not be posting if I did not agree, customer is always right, always.
    I do know Dave, owner of Bonapartes is very gutted about this.

As a caster and mould maker myself I can sort of see where the issues have happened. Dave does sub contract his casting, that is no excuse in any way for a bad product or more so customer service, but as said above, I think the caster has let him down a bit by not checking the quality control of the product. It's a lovely piece but something I would never cast unless in another 10 pieces lol, that said I am actually in awe that it can be moulded.

Dave is busy a lot of the time but he does care about his product.

I hope things get resolved, I'm not defending bonapartes at all, just hoping that one bad dealing doesn't go too bad against the whole range. As said above the poste militaire kits are perfect, I have 2 in my stash and the quality is well worthy of what Ray Lamb would expect of anyone having his range.
    Merry Christmas
    elanlane13, Huw63 and napoleonpeart like this.
  20. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Then perhaps Dave might wish to give Paul some training in customer relationships, because Paul has pretty much trashed Bonaparte's reputation for service. As a result of Paul's responses, Bonaparte's has probably lost more custom than a full refund, including postage, in the first place would have cost. Compare Felix's experience in this instance with the outstanding service offered by other suppliers mentioned on the forum.

Dave, who has been conspicuous by his absence on this thread, might also guarantee that customer's won't be subjected to this sort of trouble if something is wrong with or missing from a kit. He could at least come on the forum and give potential but wary customers some confidence in his firm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.