1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Bad casting from Bonaparte

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by yellowcat, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Keith,
    Actually David was aware, he told Paul "Just spoken to my dad who said that this can all be repaired."

Hi Del,
    You are absolutely right. The problem should have been solved at the starting point when I sent Bonaparte the pictures. They should have sent me a replacement kit rather than going through the scenario. It is just wasting time, money and bad customer service on their part. If I didn't publicize here in the forum, I really doubted they would ever consider to give me the 50% refund of the price of the kit. It is just to repair their customer service damage control and their company image. I really don't care about the 50% refund. Not to mention it is wasting my time and stressfulness on my part. Anyway I am glad is almost over.
    Felix
    napoleonpeart and DEL like this.
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

I've just read this and am very surprised - never had an issue with Bonaparte's and David has always been polite and helpful to me. I'm glad that the issue is resolved.

Cheers

Huw
  3. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    sorry guys, but I will not buy any Bonaparte kit because of this story and the other one. How could you even think about shipping internationally a kit like this one without any outside box is beyond my understanding ! not even taking in account the poor quality of the kit itself. nope, too many manufacturers out there to support.
  4. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Round 4
    Hi Guys,
    Finally received the new replacement kit from Bonaparte on Sunday. Spent Sunday afternoon and Monday to figure out all the new replacement kit. It was full of surprises. The new kit was packed in a sturdy brown card board box with a outside sleeve but no outer box for protection. It was shipped in a size 7 Royal Mail Jiffy packet. Upon opening the pack and inspecting the parts, the first thing I noticed the right hand holding the spear was missing. The package did not go through custom because the Jiffy packet was sealed and was not previously opened. So don't blame on the custom officer.

THE UNPACKING
    Here are some pictures of the package. It also came in with some copies of my previous pictures and hand written notes commenting on the castings and broken parts.
    a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg a5.jpg a6.jpg IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0141a.jpg IMG_0142a.jpg IMG_0145a.jpg IMG_0148a.jpg IMG_0150a.jpg IMG_0152a.jpg

THE GOOD PARTS
    Here are some pictures of the new good parts in comparing with the previous ones.
    g7.jpg g8.jpg g9.jpg g10.jpg

THE BAD PARTS
    Here are some pictures of the new bad parts in comparing with the previous ones.
    b.jpg b3.jpg b2.jpg b1.jpg
  5. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    ..... AND THE UGLY PARTS
    Here are some pictures of the new ugly parts in comparing with the previous ones.

b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b7.jpg b8.jpg b9.jpg b10.jpg b11.jpg
    b12.jpg b15.jpg
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I am not sure what is the next step for me. My previous email to Paul had asked him to make sure the replacement kit is without any flaws but I still received some bad castings Just wonder if they ever inspected the new kit before shipping to me.
    In one on their hand written notes " I can see these pcs are broken and have been through 34 castings I have here and all are the same. The casting company I use Y.S.Castings is coming to my house today and I will be pointing this out.". So what's the point sending me another bad kit.

Felix
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just as a check, I put "ys castings" in the PF search engine, and all the hits that I looked at (I stopped after 5 or 6) gave very positive comments on their castings.
    ?????????

Cheers,
    Andrew
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

First off....this is a sad situation for two reasons....first it should never be the customer that has to prove to the supplier that his goods are not fit for sale...it is their responsibility to ensure things like this don't happen!
    It's called 'quality control'.
    Secondly....as a company....the damage done to Bonapartes will be long lasting....and will rightly serve to remind them that the customer should be their priority....something...sadly...they have obviously forgotten.

I have to say....having dealt with Bonapartes on a number of occasions....the worst I have encountered was missing parts....the quality of their castings is usually very good....especially their 'Post Militaire' kits.

It's a great shame this has gone so badly for both parties....but...from a personal point of view....it has saved me my hard earned money....as I had intended to buy this kit!

Ron
    yellowcat, DEL and Helm like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

YS is the casting company used by RP Models ..never any issues ..high quality casting .....or Hugo wouldn't accept it or anything less .

Nap
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It begs the question as to whether YS made the original moulds, or if they were made elsewhere - the cast that comes out of the mould is only as good as the mould itself. No matter how competent the caster is, if the mould is badly designed, then youre on a hiding to nothing.

I noticed at the weekend, that even the display models on their stand had flaws in them, especially the one I was working on last week - (see "letting off steam") It doesnt bode well for the production pieces...(y)
    Helm and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Same here Ron it was going to be on the Xmas list
    Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Guys,
    Yesterday I emailed Paul regarding the missing spear and the missing casting on the new replacement kit.
    This afternoon I was going to ask Paul to send me the missing spear and couple of replacement parts and I would repair the horse and all the missing castings. But then I received this email from Paul:

Bonaparte Military Models
    1:10 PM (4 hours ago)
    Hi Felix

I have issued you a full refund for the kit, postage and return postage. You can keep the kit on us, but as it's that bad I'm sure you will need to put it in the bin!!

Thanks
    Paul

Well, I don't expect that and I don't know what to say.

Felix
    arj and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    RESULT .....AT LAST

Well done to Felix for pursuing this

Should have been resolved a lot sooner

Nap
  14. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to hear that the matter is finally resolved Felix.
    Pity it took so long to achieve what should have happened at the start.
    Lessons have been learnt and duly filed.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I'm at a point in my life where I'm so damn picky that I over analyze just about everything to the point I sometimes make myself miserable, until I get to the point where I just deal with it and sooner or later things just have a way of flowing together and working out, just like this situation will.
    I too was planning on ordering a piece from Bonapartes... and I will ,but I'm going to wait a bit until the dust settles in hopes that this is a lesson learned . Everyone makes mistakes and it's very hard to please everyone; in particular us picky guys who paint miniatures.

Wayne:)
  16. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada

Hi Wayne,
    I am not picky, just consciousness. The quality of the casting is just not up to today standard. If the castings have problems it should never sell to your customers until the problems are fixed. Or sell as seconds at a discount price and let your customers know the problem beforehand. It is just good customer service and good quality control.

Felix
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I totally agree with this comment.

Marc
    MCPWilk likes this.
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Insulting and petty that's what. He should have left it half way through the second sentence.
  19. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Del, You are absolutely right. That tells a lot about the company's culture. It blows your customer service out the door.

Felix
    napoleonpeart, Helm and MCPWilk like this.
  20. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The comments from the company would indicate that they are not in the least bit concerned about the quality of their product, nor ensuring that faults are corrected and that the customers is looked after. The whole episode smacks of a "laissez faire" attitude and they are clearly not concerned whether the business continues.(y)
    napoleonpeart and Helm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.