1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Back to the Beginning!

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Martin Antonenko, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Dear Planeteers!

We remember our first "walking experiment" in the figure hobby!

It would be nice if you answered the following question:

What was my first self-purchased ("donated" does not count!) and painted figure?

And if you have a picture of the figure - and maybe even a little story about, it would be great if you would post it here!

Thank you for participating!

Cheers

------------------------------------------------

And because I'm already, I'm starting:
    To preserve further domestic peace I had to look for a new hobby at the beginning of the 2000s!My wife was just as sorry for the constant nitro stench in the house as the thick layers of sanding dust that covered the home, the yard and myself.At that time, I built ship driving models for the pond at a scale of 1: 100.
    But most of all they were annoying the huge showcases, which gradually spread out in all the rooms! Such a "S.M.S. Emden" in 1: 100 is over one meter long and 60 centimeters high!
    So I fell into the figure hobby.
    Does not stink, produces (almost!) no grinding dusts - and the showcases are also manageable.
    Reading in a brochure about the Hobby was, that you should not buy "any" figure for the beginning, but one that you absolutely want to have - that increases your motivation.
    After a long search I decided for a 90 mm "Officer of the Kuban Cossacks)" by the german firm "Sielend Miniaturen", which I really liked ...:

[IMG]

Believe it or not, my first figure was actually a Cossack!

The figure - together with the acrylic color set "ACW" of "Vallejo" ...

[IMG]

... bought in summer 2001 at "Berliner Zinnfiguren".

I had no idea of the subtleties of a figurine painting, at most theoretical. So I mixed and painted somehow, as well as I knew and could.

I have "refined" the supplied white metal base with the "Material" from the railway model building, a small stone from the garden and a slaughtered brush.

I still have the Cossack today, keep him in honors and would not want to separate me from him ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And now I am pretty curious for YOUR stories and pictures...!

Cheers
    moore likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I bought for € 12 3 busts for my wife who wanted to start painting figures after she helped me with the crew on a Tiger Tank.
    After a few weeks Gino Poppe gave a workshop figure painting with oils. I desided to take a look.
    From that moment on I never worked on a AFV. I became a member of AMSS (where Gino was also a member) and bought this figure from him (he sold figures in those days).
    The next meeting I had this painted version of this Celt. They adviced me alot, and say that it looks better on a base, and gave me some ideas.
    The club members keep me going. So my first advice to a starter is. Surch for a club.
    I never stopped painting figures. Beside become a member of the club I searched the internet and find this site. I became a member on 7 januari 2004. I was number 104 if I remeber well.
    Never gave up the oils. I really can't paint with acrylic. And I love the smile of Turpentine in the morning :)
    IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1271.JPG
    moore and Martin Rohmann like this.
  3. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My first was a Historex Foot Dragoon Officer in 1970 - glued together straight out of the plastic bag (no filling,
    no cleaning of mould lines or sprue spurs) and painted with Humbols without shading or highlighting. I thought
    it was the bee's knees - and then I saw Ray Lamb's now legendary Historex Chasseur - not a photograph, but the
    real thing in the flesh - and realised that I was complete rubbish ! But it was too late and I've been hooked ever since.
    moore, Martin Rohmann and OldTaff like this.
  4. jai A Fixture

Italy
    Everything started by chance ....
    At the age of 10 I inherited the airfix kit of my older brother and I began to build Mig and Spitfire.

At the age of 34 I was told I would spend my life on the wheelchair ..

Being lying in bed was hard for me to do it all. I asked for books of history and modeling to be bought ... I brought the book of Ottinger and tradition magazine.

DSCF9937.JPG

Yes, the soldiers could have done them in bed!
    Not too far from home there was a model shop ... and the case would have had some historex envelopes ... I was made to buy it

From Bill's book I took the lead for my first piece.
    DSCF9938.JPG

Very occasionally I take the brushes in my hand and my style has not changed much .... the biggest change is that I walk with my legs

DSCF9944.JPG
    moore, OldTaff, Tom W. and 2 others like this.