1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review B25 Mitchell crew (ACM32001) AC Models 54mm (1/32scale)

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Stelios Demiras, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello friends in planetfigure,

I would like to share with you my new set of figures which is the first kit from this well known company that I have in my hands and seen it in real. I must admit is very unique and covers a different theme from what I have seen in the market. The set is in 54mm (1/32) of the well known New Zealand company of Andy Cairns, (www.acmodels.co.nz).

Even if it is a slightly different theme than what I usually prefer to paint, I like it very much and it is a collectors’ piece, which you must have and paint. I am talking about the B25 Mitchell Crew that has a lot of engraved and sculpting details (as you can see in the pictures).

All of the poses are very realistic and natural. I am very impressed with the huge amount of the details that Andy managed to put in this excellent set. At first glance I thought that some figures have same details but looking closer I realized that every figure has been sculpted differently from the start and each tiny detail is different in each figure!!

The kit also includes parachutes and flight helmets as well as the extra dangling parachute harness straps that hang off the figures. Each one of the figures wear an AN-6513 1A parachute with its Q.A.C. (quick attachable chest) harness on their chest as well as a “Mae West” inflatable life vest. Shackles and clasps detail out these figure’s torso’s nicely as the harness straps dangle between the legs.Another strong element of the set is the excellent depiction of the air in their clothes. Everyone has been in an airport and we felt the strong air till went into the aircraft. The faces are awesome! Each one has his one personality. I am thinking to have the kit of the HK Models in 1/32 and put these in a diorama (maybe use a part of the aircraft??? Any ideas???)

The sculpting detail is of a high standard! I tried to find the molding lines or something that I must clean. I found only some molding blocks and just a thin molding line in some parts that is very easy to remove in seconds! You can go almost direct for painting!! The casting is so clean and the detail so clear! The highly quality resin will help the painter a lot as the paint will adhere on the surface very good.

So what we have:

Title: B25 Mitchell Crew
    Code; ACM32001
    Scale: 1/32
    Size: 54mm
    Pieces: 47 (four flight helmets, one steel helmet, four parachutes, six harness straps and 32 pieces for the six figures)
    Sculptor: Andrew McD Cairns
    A base of an airport field is also included.
    For Orders and more Information www.acmodels.co.nz or in distributors section http://www.acmodels.co.nz/distributors or for enquiries in the email: amcairns@paradise.net.nz, phone: 0064033294214

I am attaching photos for you to have a personal evaluation.
    I hope that you will find this review useful.
    Continuing in NEXT PART
    B25_1.JPG B25_2.JPG B25_3.JPG B25_4.JPG

FIGURE 1
    B25A_1.JPG B25A_2.JPG B25A_3.JPG B25A_4.JPG

FIGURE 2
    B25B_1.JPG B25B_2.JPG B25B_3.JPG B25B_4.JPG

FIGURE 3
    B25C_1.JPG B25C_2.JPG B25C_3.JPG B25C_4.JPG B25E_1.JPG B25E_2.JPG B25E_3.JPG B25E_4.JPG B25D_2.JPG B25D_3.JPG B25D_4.JPG

Attached Files:

MCPWilk, armorer and Chris Mortimer like this.
  2. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Great set. I know Andy and saw these being sculpted. They are very nice figures and as you say all have their own personalities. Can't wait to see them painted.
  3. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Very good review, Andy is a local modeller/sculpter/friend here in NZ and is a member of the local IPMS Christchurch. This is one of his successful productions, which I believe was cast offshore. I have seen many of his projects and believe this and his pacific stretcher team are his best work, with another epic in progress ( Gallipoli scene).
    Les
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to a seven man Bomber Command (RAF/RAAF/RNZAF/RCAF/ &c.) crew!

Mike
  5. kkarlsen New Member

napoleonpeart likes this.