1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP " Avant-Gardé " SBS

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Next came the first darks. These are used to map out the body markings more than muscle shadows.
    I used a 30/70 mix of SC30 (Red Leather) and SC32 (Black Leather). Now, for some strange reason, the Black Leather is far from black! What I ended up with, was a 'violet' shade. However, I used this to good advantage as a base for the black to come.
    IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1093.jpg IMG_1094.jpg IMG_1097.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With a good blend/range of colours in place, it was time to map out the darkest markings.
    Again, this is not about the muscle shadows, but more about defining the basic colours overall.
    I wanted to get a nice deep black so, for this, I switched to Scale 75 Black Primer (SCPR1).
    As said, at this stage I am only looking to bring out the character of the horse, not the finer details.
    IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1102.jpg IMG_1104.jpg

to be continued..............
  3. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    Following this closely ...really helpful SBS

Frank
    bubba4141 likes this.
  4. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    ha ha, sorry ron, when i see such an excellent model i automaticaly think that it is a barrie hynd model. but kidding aside i am sure its going to be excellent, and look forward to the end result / badger
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking very interesting Ron C will follow close .
    A point of mystery to me is the zenithal highlighting in the primer stage not only by yourself but other modellers also, the point being it gets covered with the base coat so to me seems pointless .
    But having said that everyone does it so I must be missing the point somewhere :confused:

Take it the dark areas are the prep for the dappling look forward to this stage as I am on a horse kick at the moment :rolleyes:

Ron T
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Frank, glad you are finding this helpful. If you have any questions, please ask. It's the whole point of an SBS, and makes it more fun to do (y)

Cheers

Ron
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers for that Badger ;).....stick around mate.....I always enjoy a good laugh when doing an SBS :LOL:

Ron
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron T, pleased it interests you, and glad your on board (y)

With regard to the 'zenithal' technique, it has been around for a very long time. It was used in early films, when they wanted to give audiences a scare. Remember how they would shine a light directly above or below a face, to generate an exaggerated effect between shadows and hi-lites. It was also used in early animation studios, again, to give stronger contrasts.
    As for the modelling arena, again, it has been around a long time. I have used it for many years and, it was the basis for my 'Scrub Coat' technique. I use it to map out where the most natural shadows will fall and, to enhance detail.
    It can seem pointless when it is then covered by a solid base coat but, as with the 1st hi's on the horse above, you can repeat the effect with the next colour. It does work better with oils, because you can use the transparency of them to allow the underlying colour to show through as a pre-shade, as in my way with oils.

As you are on a horse kick, try this, some of it may interest you.......http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/just-a-horse-for-a-change.36226/

Cheers

Ron C
    ChaosCossack, BarrieHynd and DEL like this.
  9. gogok Active Member

HongKong
    You might say I'm crazy.
    Actually, I love your wood base and I'm looking for such look and feel in the same way.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Looking good Kei errr Ron.groundwork is looking good.
    Ralph
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Gogok.....PM Ron Tamburrini.....he does some very nice bases....and may be able to help you out (y)....

Regards

Ron
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ralph (y)

Ron
  13. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now this horse has really piqued my interest! .. 90mm & airbrush .. This I do like. (y)

Regards,

Mark
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Still think this is one of the best horses Ray lamb done , what pressure are you working the Scale 75 paints at Ron
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Would have to agree with that Ron T.....a great pose all round (y)

I rarely vary the pressure from 28 psi.....never higher..as you get 'spiders' if paint is too thin when close in......lower....only when I want to work very close in.....then about 15-18 psi

Ron C
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry Mark, missed your post.....ooopsie! :angelic:...glad you like it mate (y)

Ron
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well....have just spent the last 7 hours trying to recover the horse. Went tits up....big time....:mad:
    Had decided to lay in a few dapples and shadows.....got them done...and left it to dry for a couple of hours....next up was the 2nd hi-lites....
    I applied a mist coat of SC27 (Orange Leather) from above...to strengthen the deeper shadows....and went off to make a cup of tea and have a fag......
    When I came back 20 minutes later...I found my partner staring at it and mumbling "what have you done".....looking over her shoulder.....my Bay horse looked like it was covered in moss !......it was GREEN :arghh: :wtf: :cry:
    After standing looking at it for 10 minutes...at a loss as to what had gone wrong....I started to check every thing I had used.....I hadn't done anything different...same paints/thinners/AB etc. etc.
    Even now.....I have no idea what could possibly have caused such a reaction.... :confused:

I have just finished re-doing the whole horse....however....try as I might...I could not get the same result I had last night....even using the exact same colours and mixes.....:(

What I have got..is a fair result....considering the mess it was....so will get some pics in the morning....and update the SBS..........

Ron
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You painted under Electric light in the dark Ron
    You are not the first to end up with a green horse I think one even made it to Euro from a prominent painter ,I too have had this problem but with oils ; it was the highlight yellow which reacted with the brown " Raw umber " which has green in the its make up :eek: ended up with an olive green horse :ROFLMAO::facepalm:
    Never used raw umber since for a horse :)
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes...and no.....electric (daylight bulb) yes.....with ambient light from the window directly in front of me.....so...not quite in the dark ;) :p

The only conclusion I have drawn is.....I used the Scale 75 'Primer' for the darks....not that it should be any different to their standard black !......
    But I am still confused as to why a mist coat of the same colour I used for the base..i.e. Orange Leather....would turn the previous colours green !
    I have to say...this has shaken my confidence in this particular set of Scale 75 colours.....What strikes me most about this set is, how far away the colours on the box are, from the actual colour in the bottle....
    As a life long printer...I am well aware of the discrepancies you get between printed and painted colours/fabrics etc.

Guess I will never know the answer to this one.....just not sure how to avoid it happening again.....think I will bin this set of colours....just to be safe :(

Appreciate your input Ron T (y)
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom