1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Aux Sombres Héros

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by franck edet, Jan 18, 2018.

1. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Hello :)
    While waiting for my M-16 from Reedees i had some time to do a little project i was thinking of for some months. the "pier" is scratch built 100%. Water is epoxy resin for the volume and the waves were done using Acrylic super heavy medium. the Fig is originally a 35th scale german POW from a now defunct company : "Coree productions".
    I wanted him to look at the rising sun, i think i succeeded the ambiant light !
    as usual, painted in Scalecolors acrylics.
    the title is taken from a 90's french song "Aux Sombres Héros de la mer" (roughly : Heil Dark heroes of the sea) by Noir Desir.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg
  2. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Pulled up the music. Holy! Love it...thanks for the reference..and btw, the piece rocks as well!!!
  3. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    thank you johnny :)
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Lovely Franck! Wonderful composition, great painting and fantastic ground(water) work! Nuff said. :)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Oda likes this.
  5. Oda A Fixture

What an inspiration indeed!!!!And the execution doesn't fall far behind.Beautiful work all around.

Oda.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franck

Love the painting on this ..very evocative wonder what's going through his head looking out to the sea...talking of the sea ...like that wave effect and the lighting well done

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

great job , very nice paintwork

mobo
  8. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    thank you very much to each of you, it's really appreciated :)
  9. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    while cleaning up the pictures of this piece from my cell phone I thought some members here would be interested to see the whole process for the water work
    so here it is :

at first i painted the top of the base to create some visual effects creating deepness and stream direction :

001.jpg

Then it's time to pour the 2 parts clear epoxy resin, i added 2 drops of "dark tone" from Army Painters in it in order to slightly darken the water as i was not looking for a blue lagoon ... the key to success here is to avoid any leak. so i made "walls" from copper foil (a single part) white glue is applied to seal it and vaseline was brushed on the inner sides to ease the demolding later. also : wood working clamps where used to keep the mold under pressure. once poured i covered the whole piece with a plastic bag to avoid any dust to fall on the epoxy. i then waited around 36 hours before touching anything

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

once demolded everything was fine, and so it was time for creating the waves. The easiest way is to used Liquitex gloss heavy gel, applied with a flat rounded brush. what i learned with time is to begin from the farest waves and build-up the other one toward the nearest one. by doing so it creates a nice movement

006.jpg
    once again, a good drying time is mandatory for the gel to harden and become totally transparent.
    at this stage you can repeat this step until you're satisfied with the volume and movement created. now what is left is to create the foam, Heavy gel again but with 2 drops of titanium white added in it. First applied on the edges of the waves with a paintbrush, and immediately i used a sponge soaked in water to "draw" the streaks of foam
    007.jpg

and here is the final result
    008.jpg

i hope this will help some of you in future projects :)
  10. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

The sbs is good..basic materials and bit of imagination..and skill..as Kev says, this works in creating mood
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Love the figure and the sbs. Fantastic.
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with Viking Bob.
    Cheers
    John