1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ArtIG standing Zouave WW1.

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Jazz, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    The company ArtIG have recently released a superb standing Zouave figure. The figure is set in the 1st World War but with some adaptation can easily be converted to any period that the Zouaves fought in.
    Now for a little background before we get to the actual figure.
    220px-RaczynskiAleksander.ZuawiWWalce.1858.jpg

The Zouaves started off as a Light Infantry regiment that served in the French Army in North Africa commencing around 1831. The uniform was so colourful and popular that it was later adapted for other units around the world. The Zouaves fought in the American Civil War and the Crimean War as well as the First World War.
    220px-French_Colonial_Forces.jpg

The uniform is easily identifiable, and includes a short open fronted jacket, very baggy trousers known as Serouel, sashes and fez style headwear. The Zouaves started out as an elite fighting force made up of volunteers and were very popular due to the romantic nature of their uniform however during many conflicts around the world they were forced to adopt a less conspicuous uniform due to being easily targeted by the enemy forces.

The traditional Zouave uniform soon became used only in ceremonial duties but during the early stages of the First World War the colourful traditional uniforms could still be seen on the Battlefield.
    The conflict most associated with the Zouave uniform by modellers was the American Civil War where both sides had their own versions. A young amateur soldier, Elmer E. Ellsworth is credited with raising the United States Zouave Cadets in the city of Chicago in 1859. They became so expert at military drill that they travelled the country giving exhibitions and launched the Zouave craze in America. It remained as the whole country slid into civil war just one year later.
    200px-FrancisBrownell.jpg

The Zouaves will long be remembered as a most colourful and dashing group of soldiers who took part in many of the world’s battles.

The Figure
    Now to the figure itself which is depicted to be a Private of the 3rd Regiment of World War one.

CIMG5366.JPG

The figure comes in a sturdy little box and was wrapped in a plastic packet and bubble wrap for good protection.

The model comes in nine pieces of white metal and the details are very well formed and need little in cleaning up. The rifle is formed with the left arm and all fit of parts is very good leaving no gaps on the figure that I have. There are sturdy studs on both feet to fix into the terrain base that comes with the kit.
    CIMG5368.JPG

Please note that my photo shows the kit is fixed together with small pieces of blu tack temporarily and that the fit of parts will be better when glued together. I recommend that this kit is painted before being fixed together for ease of painting. As can be seen from this photo fine detail such as the face and the jacket braiding is very well depicted here and only a few fine molding lines can be seen on the front of the arms. My only minor criticism is that the box is generic for all their kits and there is no name of the subject nor any painting guide inside.
    CIMG5369.JPG

In conclusion this is an excellent little 54mm kit and I believe that the master was constructed by way of the new 3D printing system which means that these kits may be made in any size. This figure can be purchased via the ArtIG website. My thanks go to Max who sent me this kit and I look forward to completing this and other kits in the series.
    phc35, pmfs, billyturnip and 6 others like this.
  2. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Good figure, in case (size) could be use for a scenette with the Metal Modeles one's.
    [IMG]
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice Review Jazz with good background details .

A nice figure full of potential

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  4. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks Nap. That means a lot coming from an old seasoned reviewer like you. I managed to sort the photos out in the end. This reviewing isn't as easy as it looks.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Great review Jazz,thanks for sharing.
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very good review in that I'd never even have considered this beforehand - now I just might. How does the overall quality compare to other manufacturers we're more familiar with? And is it a big 54mm or a small 54mm? ;)
    thanks
    Jazz likes this.
  7. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the comment BP. The quality is good especially considering this is a metal figure. In my opinion it is a big 54mm figure.

Thanks for your comments swralph.
  8. MAX.I.G Well-Known Member

Latvia
    Thank you for review!