1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed ANZAC 120 mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, May 1, 2010.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is my first big figure. It was hard to find and to get.
    I'm not so satisfied with the eyes, but the casting was not good at this point. I could not find any referencepoint to smash some paint into the eyes. Very hard labour, and it had to be done :(
    Further i sculpted the pipe who was not in the box, so be very gentle to this.
    It is a ANZAC wit a Lewis Gun coming from the first line totally exhausted back to the second line where he can rest.
    I hope you like it...

ANZAC 001 (Medium).jpg ANZAC 002 (Medium).jpg ANZAC 003 (Medium).jpg ANZAC 004 (Medium).jpg
    ANZAC 005 (Medium).jpg ANZAC 006 (Medium).jpg

Marc
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    ...and is your first big work on this scale:)
    I like it very much Marc.
    Great groundwork too:)
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I remember the problems you had getting this Marc and although it presented more problems in the painting and construction you should be pleased with the result. It's very good and also ties in with the groundwork very well.

Roger.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Pedro and Roger,
    Thanks for your gentle comment.

Marc
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nice job Marc, but the uniform is far too light in colour.
    Carl.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc, great painting and nice job on the mud base. My only critique would be he's a little too clean. (y)

Cheers Ken
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Well, i don't know.
    I read in my references that the color Khaki for the Anzac's was very light.
    I doubted a little to make it more lighter.

Marc
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Ken,
    Maybe he's to clean...but after the hard labour i wasn't brave enough to dirty him up to much.

Marc
  9. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Marc,
    He ,s come up well.Good job.
    Andy
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Found this example Marc. The ANZAC battle dress I've seen is near enough the same colour as British khaki.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  11. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Mark
    Excellent job of painting this figure. I know what mean about muddying up a freshly painted figure, it's a hard thing to do. Look at the work of Roger, Dan Morton and Housecarl they are the experts.
    Pete
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Pete. I like to be known for skill at applying s**t.:D
    Carl.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Looks good to me Marc.
    I don't know too much about WW1 uniform colours so cannot assess the too light or too dark, but I CAN say it looks very well painted, with good blending.

I agree about the dirtying up though.... Be brave and go for it! Now it's more like he is coming from the second line and going to the first.
    Well, that must have happened too...

Cheers,
    Adrian
  14. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    The paint work on the uniform is just lovely.

I don't understand what means "casting not good at this point"? You mean you could influence the casting process? But it's already painted. I don't get it...

Actually it is kind of important that I get it cos I frankly think the face sculpt is rather basic and ruined an otherwise beautiful figure kit.
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Marc, I also like the way you painted this figure, my compliments to you and keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc,

Firstly, congratulations on your first large scale figure, and it's very pleasing to see you chose this magnificent ANZAC Lewis Gunner figure sculpted by my good mate Phil Walden many,many years ago.

Carl is correct about the uniform colour. Australian's wore essentially the same uniform as the British, and the khaki colour should be much darker than the colour you've chosen. I'm afraid the colour you've chosen is completely wrong.

The rain cloak over his shoulders is made from a rubberized canvas material that is shiny on the outside and dull on the inside and is generally dark olive green in colour (darker than the khaki uniform). I would suggest you add a coat of satin gloss over the cloak to replicate the sheen from wet rubber material.

Finally, I also agree with Ken that he's far too clean. Given he's been sloshing though some very dark mud up on the front line, he should be covered head to foot in mud splatters and dirt.

Don't be afraid to get your figures dirty mate. Dirt is the natural environment for a soldier, particularly an ANZAC on the Western Front.

If you use a water soluable material like pastel chalk to add your mud stains, you can always wipe them off with a wet cloth if you're unhappy with them. Just remember to seal them with a spray of Dullcoat when you're finished to stop the pastel chalk rubbing or blowing away.

Please don't think my comments are negative, I'm trying to offer constructive criticism and encourage you to take the next step and be bold and brave when painting your figures.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks all for the constructive comments.
    I'm gone splash some dirt on him....MIG pigments will do the job.
    And the color stays at it is. My reference shows a much lighter khaki then the british khaki. It could be that my book is wrong, but doubt it. I've seen green bags to, and white and khaki.
    http://www.life.com/image/80843801
    and the darker one
    http://www.life.com/image/52692129
    Gonna not repaint the whole figure. I gonna give him some glossy varnish on the cape, and that will be it.
    Dirty, yes, he is gonna be dirty.

Marc
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm also quite well known in certain circles for talking it too :D

Roger.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc,

I respect your choice not to repaint the colour of the uniform, but it's not historically accurate and your references are definitely wrong.:confused: Given the time and trouble you went to to get this kit, it would be a shame not to paint the uniform the correct colour.:(

The two links you provided on your last post show a Turkish soldier from 1915 and a modern Australian soldier in a uniform that was introduced in the 1960's. Neither of these show an Australian uniform worn on the Western Front.

I've attached a colour pic, taken from the mini series ANZAC's, which shows a Lewis Gunner on the Western Front wearing the same rubberized rain cloak as your figure. The uniforms in this series were meticulously reearched and 100% accurate to this period.(y)

I'm pleased you decided to add some dirt and mud. Can you post some pics to show us the final look??:)

Attached Files:

20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Tony,
    I'm confused about the color. I have here a book called 14-18 La Grande Guerre (Armes, Uniformes and Materiels).
    There is definetely the color that i tried to replicate and splash on this figure.
    So any good reference for the right color is oke. Then i gonna repaint it, i'm a little obstinate when it comes to repaint a whole figure, specially when it is so large.

Where can i get this mini serie on DVD??

Yes, when i get my mind back in line :( i think i gonna repaint it, smash some dirt on it and then post again.

Marc