1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Any help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Army Doc 68W40, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    My second "figure". I see the other figures and mine looks terrible. Still working on it but don't know which way to turn. Any thoughts?

IMG_0023.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Doc

Thanks for posting this. ....you have chosen a hard figure with the camo especially and a double as well so firstly a WELL DONE for that .

Is this the Verlinden set ?

What are you using Acrylics or oils

IMO I hasten to add and after a quick look :

......I would say you are shading too heavily

Perhaps do a variation on the uniforms colour ( Kharki )

I and I am sure others will agree every time you pick up a brush you will learn something

Look at others SBS ....they might have been painting longer but still learn

Don't worry about asking questions no matter how silly you might think they are we are ALL here to hel and support fellow modellers

2nd figure .....well done

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    Nap thanks so much! Your right of course. I did go way to much with the shading. I think that's why it looks so dang "messy". I am only using acrylics. Thanks again Nap! A little windex and I'm re painting! Will post results. Thanks again
  4. JonH Active Member

Morning Doc.
    First off I'd say that that looks pretty good. Are you using Winton oils.
    I'm still trying to get the hang of colour mixes,blending etc. so all answers to your question are going to help me as well.High contrast is good but, looking at the standing figure's left sleeve and pouch, there doesn't seem to be any intermediate colour inbetween highlight and shadow.
    I think it needs a bit of fine tuning, that's all, to start getting even better results.
    Jon
  5. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    Jon I'm using acrylics and using them poorly. I've just sprayed the whole thing with windex and starting over. I agree with you, I didn't blend at all. I'm so glad you guys help out the beginners.

Billy
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Hi Doc, congrats for your start, much better than mine. I agreed with suggestions you got before and also add the follow one.
    Pay attentions to the details, some time they are important to get the figure more true, i.e. the blood of the wounded man should be darker, not uniform (darker on boundary and brighter in the middle) and the band covering eyes must be more dirty of blood. This is just to help. Go ahead !
    Francesco
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Doc

As you are using acrylics might I suggest ....SHAKE ! SHAKE! SHAKE! ....., very thin layers , almost washers..gradually building up the colours

Try using a retarder this will gve you a much longer working time .....Valkejo etc all do them , personally I use W & N blending medium ...just a touch

Always use distilled water as well not tap .

There are paint sets you might look at , again Lfe colour, Andrea, Vallejo , AK Interactive all do them

Hope this helps

Feel free to ask anything or PM me as well...

Don't be daunted by others work use it as inspiration !

Nap

Spread the word !
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  8. winfield Active Member

I think that you are being pretty hard on yourself. For one thing, it looks like your colors are first either correct or very close. The face needs work but is entirely within reason. Given the advice above, it just takes practice. Put together what the guys have offered and have fun painting. It WILL come together.
    Jeff T, anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Way better than my second effort that's for sure!

Hard to tell from just that one photo, but I don't think that the standing figure looks too bad at all. Even some experienced painters use high contrast and I don't entirely agree that it's too stark - it just depends on what sort of "look" you're after.

The carried figure? Not so sure about him. The camo looks off, but his boots and lower legs look OK.

Overall I'd say you're definitely on the right track.

- Steve
    Jeff T, napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  10. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi doc, like you i am a relative novice at painting but have found the people on this forum to be a fantastic bunch of people.
    i have been given loads of help from people and nobody will look down on you. i have also found that no matter how trivial or stupid seeming the question somebody will always provide a sensible answer to it.
    i think you have done a really good job of painting what looks a very tricky pair of figures.
    keep up the good work.
    anstontyke
    Babelfish and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done Doc, but the carried figure is wearing battle dress not camo.
    [IMG]
    Wings5797, anstontyke and Babelfish like this.
  12. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    To me, that is a pretty good effort for your second figure Doc!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're clearly being rather tough on yourself ... but that happens quite often with some of us. This forum can boast
    many seriously rateable painters and we all have a desire to be one of them. I don't use acrylics - I prefer the
    ' blendability ' of oils - so I can't be of much practical use. There is however, a highly successful technique with Acrylics
    which involves glazing layers - thin washes of colour layered over each other which imparts a sort of glow and real depth
    of colour. Someone here pointed me to another forum called Figurementors - have a look..... it'll scare the pants off you
    and also inspire you at the same time. Meanwhile go easy old chap and have patience.
  14. john crawford Active Member

Doc
    I`m not in a position to criticise m8, what I will say is ,
    this is one of my favourite figures and when I think I have reached a level to take it on , I will purchase it, and I think you have done a wonderful job painting it,
    that`s my humble
    john
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I always liked this piece but never purchased it. I think it was called "A bridge too far". I also think you did good job on this piece so keep up the good work.

Wayne
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    I love this place. I do. I spend hours just reading, absorbing. Thanks all for the tips, etc. John Crawford I will tell you that as a baby paratrooper I was picked to participate in an Arnhem jump etc. Got to hang with these Warriors, jumped with a few. So it's important to get it right. I'm gonna hit it with the old windex/tooth brush.
    TM
    Billy
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. Ferris A Fixture

As other have already mentioned, not bad at all. Always liked this figure and have it in the stash as well.

Here's some more simple techniques that will enhance any figures look:

- keep things flat/matte. If that doesn't work...finish off with a matte coat. Shine goes against painted highlights and shades and can make a figure look unattractive. Matte makes things look more like fabric and make the painted highlights/shades work.

- outline all major features with thin lines of dark paint. It will make belts, equipment, overlying uniform parts, clothes seams, etc. stand out and create an in-scale look. It will also separate colours nicely. As there are many separation lines on a figure this technique requires patience and a steady hand, but it is easy to do and will enhance any figure. Hardest part is to keep the outlines thin and straight.

Cheers
    Adrian
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When you paint a denison smock, and I have attached a couple of pics, work out where the panels of cloth are like a dress makers pattern.
    Remember each panel contains different sections of the pattern.
    That means that the pattern can and does run in different directions on pockets, pocket flaps and so on, and doesn't continue over the seams
    So, when you paint the jacket, paint the seams with a slightly darker colour then 'fill in' each panel in a different direction.

Good luck.

Paul.

Screenshot_2017-06-06-20-48-12-1.png Screenshot_2017-06-06-20-49-40-1.png
    theBaron, anstontyke and Wayneb like this.